Topic

Where’s Hendrik?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Where’s Hendrik?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

The link to Hendrik's video series on UL backpacking disappeared from the BPL homepage last week and has not returned (yet). What's going on?

A simple programming error?

Has he stopped working on the series?

Has BPL stopped sponsoring him?

Is this another MLife benefit down the tubes?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not sure whether he's still working on it or not, but there is still a BPL page for it: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

It's just moved off the front page rotation.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

He just posted an update with a production schedule. Here is a quote that deals with Bob's question.

"First off there's a production schedule in place which you hopefully will be delighted to hear. It should mean more regular videos for your viewing pleasure, starting in February. It also was suggested to give some more advanced tips, which I also will try to incorporate in the next episodes. If you have further feedback or suggestions, please hit reply and let me know!"

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

I never understood why this was an MLife benefit in the first place. I don't need Hendrik to explain layers or cook pots to me. I've spent years testing and researching gear and made my own informed decisions. An intro series like this, IF finished, and IF it is worth .02 would benefit people starting out in this area of backpacking. Those people are going to have basic memberships, because let's face it who wants to drop $100 on something they may not be interested in.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I agree, these videos are designed for beginners or, at most, those who haven't been in backpacking very long and want to increase their skills. IMHO, they should be made public for free, NOT reserved for MLifers. I understood from the original prospectus that these videos would be made free for the public. I haven't even bothered to look at more than the first because the intended audience can't view them.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

@Ken

Where did you find that comment by Hendrik?

I find it disturbing that there is no visible link to the series anymore on BPL – or at least I can't find one – , nor is there any explanation as to why. I've saved the link which you kindly provided to my Favorites for now.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm afraid this is going to quickly devolve into yet another BPL/Hendrik bashing "failure to deliver" thread when half the people posting have already expressed they're not even interested in the product in the first place.

Cool series from what I've seen so far, well filmed and edited, and great for beginners. I suspect that most MLIFErs that have been on this site for years could see that they weren't going to be the target market from the moment the first video came out. So what do people expect? Finnish magic beans that will lighten your pack or Scandinavian walking secrets that will revolutionize your efficiency?
    It's just backpacking. He's done a great job for what it is; wish I'd have seen his videos 6 years ago.

So Hendrik's behind schedule….Of all the things I worry about in this world, this isn't one of them.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Respectfully, MLife status only means we spent $100 all at once. It says nothing about our respective outdoor skill levels.

While I'd speculate that most MLifers are experienced backpackers, I'd also speculate that some are not. Hendrick's videos could be a valuable tool to them – so they don't have to wait 6 years or so.

Besides, we should never get to the point that there's nothing else to learn, even if it's just another way of doing something.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

From Hendrik's Kickstarter Page….

Ultralight A-Z will introduce you in an informative and entertaining way to lightweight & ultralight backpacking, and teach you the necessary knowledge and skills to hike safe & comfortable in the great outdoors. It really will help you to embrace a new mind-set which in turn will let you to walk more freely and healthy while furthering your enjoyment out hiking.

The series will introduce you in 26 episodes to the lightweight backpacking philosophy and principles, show you skills, tricks and introduce you to lightweight gear which will help you to be comfortable, safe and light on the trail. From the big three – shelter, sleeping & packing – over to the lightweight kitchen, food and cooking, dressing effectively for all conditions to how to make and maintain a packlist – the series will be a full primer to help you to lighten up, whichever level you aim for.

Additionally, I will make the the series available for free, for everyone, on Youtube and Vimeo.

From the get-go this was an "introductory" level of videos. No misrepresentation from Hendrik.

From the get-go it would be free to the world.

There was supposed to be HD access for BPL members, better quality than what was to be posted for free on the Internet. I don't know how Hendrick and Ryan made this agreement, or if it was done during the Kickstarter campaign… But Ryan probably felt the video series help sell more BPL memberships, and Hendrik must have known the large BPL membership would be a source of charity, err… donations/pre-orders.

The only criticism is that he is 1 year behind schedule. This was supposed to be completed within 26 weeks of funding. However, Kickstarter stats show that 87% of funded projects are delivered late.

For those who donated, they are probably wondering why Hendrik has time to keep his blog (which I like) up-to-date, but can't complete the series. But really, did anyone think the videos would be "advanced level?"

Bottom line, this is the nature of Kickstarter. Buyer (patron) beware, or as the saying goes, "a fool and his money are easily separated."

How I really feel about Kickstarter ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No bashing intended. There was"suppose" to be some activity in Feb. Nothing. Hendrik does seem busy.

I can't help but wonder…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Maybe Xam will take over.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

LOL! Kinda early,huh?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have been saving that one for the appropiate moment.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Dude. Come on with an update and some new episodes.

This sucks.

Going to be able to watch him age in this series if it ever gets completed. Maybe his child will take over this project.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

lol

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

His pretty helpful/interesting semi-weekly feature, "The Week in Review" unfortunately also seems to have taken a hiatus lately. Maybe I should have bought him a cup of coffee.

Coincidentally or not he's also written a fair bit recently on free vs. pay models for internet content and posted a number of reviews of gear he was loaned or given.

The A-Z series is still listed as a carrot for his guiding clients.

Does anyone know of another source for a weekly listing of interesting blog/trip reports?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

so, is he for free or pay model?

same question would apply to web sites like BPL

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Peruse the On The Web subforum for blogs. People self-promo and I'm pretty sure there's at least two compilation threads where people list their favorites. Put the ones you like in your RSS reader or email subscription.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Gossamer gear does a blog review and so does trailspace I think.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Ask and you shall receive, sometimes.

Episodes L and P are out today. Should be on BPL very soon.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

One can only hope.

Any bets on whether or not BPL will post a link to them on the Home page?

Just in case they do not, here it is:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

I think Ryan Jordan is very busy at the moment with his kickstarer prjects and he will upload the new videos as soon as possible.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Prior paid commitments generally take precedence over new projects, especially if you desire to keep getting paid for your efforts by the same community. Fool me once, fool me twice, etc…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me (long pause unsuccessfully trying to remember the saying) you can't get fooled again."

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So two months after the last two episodes were completed they still are not link to BPL. What gives?

…and Hendrik, Where may we see the production schedule you talked about?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools