Topic

Rain pants advice – Montane Minimus?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain pants advice – Montane Minimus?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I'm looking to buy some rain pants for use in cooler wet weather and wanted to see if any body has experience with the Montane Minimus rain pants or similar? Specifically, are a pair of 4.4 oz rain pants going to shred after a couple uses? I don't expect to be bushwhacking in them, but I also want to be able to climb over a downed tree or sit down without having to worry much about destroying them.

I currently live in AZ where they'll likely spend a good portion of their time in my pack, but I'll be doing some hiking in northern Utah and Oregon late this summer. Additionally, work is moving me to Oregon in 9-12 months where I expect they'll see frequent use.

Another pair I'm looking at are the Montane Atomic DT rain pants. From what I've read, these seem to be pretty durable and only weigh 6.8 oz. Would I be gaining much for the weight penalty here? Any others to consider?

Only looking for pants suggestions here – I'll use a rain wrap or nothing in warmer weather, but not when it's cold and windy out.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

Take a look at the Sierra Designs Microlight pants for 6.4 ounces (Large) with built in stuff sack. They are pretty substantial for the weight and I have not had any durability problems. I use these as shell pants to sleep in when it gets cold.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Thanks, I had not realized the Sierra Designs Microlight rain pants were so light. I am concerned though that they are not advertised as being water proof, although maybe all they need is some seam sealant.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

I have not hiked in sustained rain with them, but they have kept me decently dry during afternoon showers.

steven franchuk

@surf

The Sierra Designs Microlight is listed as waterproof on the Sierra Designs web site but They also state it has a 600mm hydrostatic head. 600mm is way below waterproof so it is only water resistant. The REI website lists it as a wind shell. Based on a quick look of the reviews on the RF website for the microlight jacket a lot of people have purchased it thinking it is waterproof but finding that it is not during sustained rain.

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

John – I love my pair! They're thicker than I originally thought they were going to be and I don't worry about sitting on a rock etc. They can feel a bit sticky when I wear them just over shorts though. YMMV.

Ben

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

What about Zpacks rain pants?

Mikhail Kozhevnikov

@mkozhev

Locale: Russia

I'd second Ben's experience reg minimus pants. Sticky sometimes, but really light, waterproof and durable (for their lightness). Had/used them for over 6 months now, no tears – neither on my part, nor on the pants' :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got one small hole in in the calf area of my minimus pants from a pointy broken branch. I also cut off the velcro flaps that go over the ankle zips to tighten the ankles. The system doesn't seem to work that well without the additional snaps found on the Atomic DT pants, and it gets in the way when using the ankle zips.

I think they're a decent UL slanted compromise between durability and weight. I don't worry about sitting on rocks, but they wouldn't last 5 min exposed to ski edges. I'd probably look at the Atomic DT's for more of a bushwacking pant.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I don't plan on using these pants for skiing, but I'm guessing they'd do okay for hiking through snow? I will probably just end up buying the Minimus and see how they work out, but the Atomic DTs are still tempting considering how often I end up hiking through overgrown trails.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools