Topic

Marmot Arroyo and WM Megalite in Quilt Mode

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Marmot Arroyo and WM Megalite in Quilt Mode

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Can anyone tell me how long the zipper is on the Arroyo and whether it can reasonably be unzipped and used as a quilt in warmer weather? I can't find any data on the zipper length. I think the zipper on a Megalite is quite long, and would work well in that mode, along with the continuous baffles letting you adjust for temperature. Thanks.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have used the Arroyo as a quilt. That was several years ago and I no longer own the bag so I can't measure it. The zipper was not short … but did not extend all the way to the foot end … it was typical of ordinary mummy bags.

At the time I owned it I was of the opinion that "quilts" needed to be secured to the pad and received outstanding customer service when I queried Marmot about what zipper would match the one in the bag. It'd be worth asking them about it.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I just bought a Megalite and, yes, the zipper is full-length.

Warning, though- WM bags tend to be claustrophibic. The Megalite is their "wider-girth" model and I find it very much a tight mummy-style bag. (And while I may not be svelte, I'm not fat, either.) I suspect that I'll also most often use it in quilt mode.

That said, mummy bags that fit closely tend to be warmer, so long as they aren't so tight that the down gets constricted.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have a Megalite and use it as a quilt all the time. Love it. It's plenty wide enough for me — the narrow cut WM bags like the Ultralite, now those things are tight!

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

The arroyo has a full length zipper. When fully unzipped though, there remains about a foot of footbox. For me that makes for great quilting. :)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

megalite and tight two words I never have used in the same sentence.

Until now that is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools