Topic

Stuffsack-with-straps as a daypack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stuffsack-with-straps as a daypack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I know they're out there and I've found a few, but I was wondering if you all could give me a list of such minimalist daypacks and any recommendations you might have. I'm looking for exactly what's in the subject- a lightweight sack that will mostly be used as a stuffsack, but with shoulder straps so that I can use it as an (even lighter) daypack, primarily to haul a water bottle, windshell, maybe a fleece, and snacks.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Dean

This is classic MYOG.

You see, what you are looking for has too little value-add for most gear vendors. They can't sell something like this for less than maybe $50 (I dunno), but who is going to pay that much for a simple stuff sack? (Well, not me, anyhow!)

I have some 10" x 16" MYOG stuff sacks (PU-coated nylon, maybe 60 gsm) we use as food bags in the tent in the evening. One bag holds all the lunch stuff in the evening, out of the way, and the other holds all the dinner stuff. OK, hardly SUL, but very very convenient.

I have added short loops of 5 mm tape to the two bottom corners. Then I take a few feet of 5 mm soft light webbing and tie the ends to these two loops. Fill stuff sack with day gear and tie the middle of the 5 mm tape around the neck. Onto the shoulders and away we go. Perfect for short side trips during a thru-hike.

Total weight: 46 g (1.62 oz). Short of making it out of Cuban, I defy anyone to make anything much lighter.

One version is deluxe. I reinforced a bit of the bag near the top and added another short loop of 5 mm webbing. I tie the middle of the 'shoulder straps' to this instead with the length adjusted to suit my shoulders. Now I can open the 'day pack' by undoing the draw cord at the top without undoing the shoulder straps – so they stay the right length.

No photos right now – camera being repaired.

Cheers

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

HMG makes a cuben one. It's waterproof and has a roll top closure.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i had zpacks make me one. basically a cuben stuff sack, with shock cord attached, and a draw string w/ linelok to close the lid. all held by 1 strap to wear as a bandoleer.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Zimmerbuilt Summit Sack?

-Mark in St. Louis

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra
    d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I've done something like this with a few different sizes of Granite Gear Air Zip Sack and Air Pockets.

I've made them into day packs with a length of cord/rope. I wouldn't want that digging into my shoulder carrying water. I'd think you could make a padded strap that would allow you to wear the stuff sack as a bandoleer-style pack that wouldn't weigh too much.

I've seen a lot of folks around town using gym sacks to carry snacks, water and a fleece at events and the like. You'd still have the problem of cord digging into your shoulders, but it might be worth trying.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

The Gossamer Gear item is one of which I was aware, and was favoring. I didn't know about any of the others. The ZimmerBuilt seems similar to most of the ones I'm finding (except that it's cuben) in that it's basically a sack with cord for straps, which doesn't seem appealing for the reasons mentioned above. I'd forgotten about Oware- I'll research that one. But if I ever bought anything from L.L.Bean my wife would eviscerate me (political reasons).

Thanks, all.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

But if I ever bought anything from L.L.Bean my wife would eviscerate me (political reasons).

Requesting elaboration!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Most of us married guys have some marital constraints … I tell folks I can't buy at Walmart and stay married.

Brian Phillips
    BPL Member

@fleab

Locale: The Flat Lands

+1 on the Riksak. Functions as a great moisture barrier inside my main pack for storing my down items i.e. quilt and jacket and is perfect for holding my rain gear, water, snacks and camera during side explorations away from camp.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I have two of the original Kompressors, I was more interested in a light day pack vs stuff sack w/ strings- it'll certainly work as a stuff sack, but definitely makes for a nice, light day pack

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hadn't seen this one before:

http://lukesultralite.com/content/pack-linerbackpack

-Mark in St. Louis

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

I went through this process a couple of years ago, trying to find a stuff sack with shoulder straps so I could use it for a FAK and PSK and actually take it with me when I wonder away from camp. The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack weighs only 2.4 oz, so since I would likely use a 1 oz stuff sack anyway, I consider it a 1.4 oz penalty to have a day pack that more likely ensures I have a PSK with me when away from camp. Excellent lightweight bag that holds 20 litres.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

2.4 ounces, 20 liters / 1220 cu inches. Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Packable Day Pack. $32.95 at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/799600/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-packable-day-pack

My longest day hike with it was 28 miles in GCNP and it did fine. I was SUL that day AND kept pointy things away from my back (or back in the car).

2.4 ounces is SWEET – you can't wear your daypack, or eat your daypack, and unlike food and water, you carry the weight for EVERY mile, so why bring any more daypack than you absolutely need?

It's best and highest uses for me are:

– high-mileage days like the one described above

– as a stuff sack (can't stuff super hard into due to the zipper closure) that then doubles as a daypack for side trips.

– I travel with it (stowed) on airlines on business and family trips. It packs down to the size of a lime but if there is "mission creep" or fluffage that occurs or shopping that is done, then it takes the added bulk as a carry-on bag (in a pinch, I'd check it as baggage and did once, but it's not sturdy enough for a lot of that).

– as a "backpack" for a 3- to 6-year-old so they can feel like they are helping. And they do take a little of the volume off you that way.

Don't plan on a 10+ pound load. But at 3 to 6 pounds, the unpadded straps are fine.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Has anyone tried the updated version mentioned by Rick, slightly heavier at 3.2oz but more stuff sack like, with a drybag rolltop…???

http://www.backcountrygear.com/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-dry-day-pack-black-one-size.html?gclid=CJ_BsrixhrUCFct7QgodNnAA9w

-Mark

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

@Max- "Requesting elaboration!"

Apparently the woman who owns it is a freakish right-winger (apologies to the freakish right-wingers in the crowd) who uses her money to support a number of causes that my freakish left-winger wife finds repugnant.

And I too am forbidden to frequent Wal-mart.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools