Topic

Altra Superior: Thoughts on Tread Performance?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Altra Superior: Thoughts on Tread Performance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Locale: North GA

For folks who own a pair of the Superiors, what has your experience been with the tread? It looks like it would be good on harpack, but I don't expect it to grip well in mud at all. Any thoughts?

To give you some background, I've been considering the Altra Superiors for three-season backpacking in the southeast. I would use them on trail only(not for bushwhacking). The trails I walk have some hardpack, although the trails can be pretty wet and messy in spring and fall. There are lots of roots to contend with and some small river crossings. I also encounter rock outcroppings and a lot loose stuff on the more eroded trails. I hike mainly in north Georgia, east Tennessee, and North Carolina.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I wouldn't worry about it much. I used Inov8 Flite 230s for a couple of years without an issue for everything from SE trails to off-trail and snowshoeing in Montana , and those are essentially a road shoe with little to no tread.

That said, my most recent pair of Altras (they were bought out and moved production) is showing very poor durability, so despite the great fit I don't plan on buying another pair.

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Thanks for the thoughts. What are you looking at as alternatives to your Altras?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

For road, I'll probably go back to the Flite. I have some Trailroc 235s to try for trail.

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

LOVE THIS SHOE! I used to hike in inov8 roclite's but now am hiking exclusively in the superior and like it much more. The one area I feel the shoe is lacking is the tread pattern, works really well uphill and on hardpack, but could use a little work because of poor performance in sloppy/muddy conditions. I definetely felt it after a rocky hike but thats to be expected for a minimal shoe. Toe box is perfect, flex is perfect, ground feel, and overall i'd say the tread performance is a 3.5 out of 5 points.

Dale Caldwell
    Spectator

@dalemc

Locale: Coastal Georgia

I have a pair of these and even though I have only worn them on one long weekend trip, I love them. I was worried that the tread wouldn't be aggressive enough and I have not tried them in wet conditions yet. However, IMO no other shoe on the market gives you a roomy toe box, zero drop, protection that barefoot/minimal shoes don't offer, and trail tread. The tread may be lacking a little but I'd encourage you to give them a try for other reasons. I'm about to try mine on a mid-feb. trip in the Joyce Kilmer area. Could be ice and snow so I bought microspikes for them.

Craig Hensley
    Spectator

@jchens

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it.

I have looked at the Trailroc 235s before as well. I may give those a look if the Superiors don't fit me well for some reason. It seems like the options for zero drop trail shoes keep getting better and better.

Dale, let me know how the February trip goes. I do like that the Superiors offer a bit more protection than a lot of minimal shoes that are out there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools