Topic

Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

Anybody have experience with the Golite Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka?

Im looking for a fairly warm down parka/jacket.

The reviews on their site vary from great to poor quality control.

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Roan-Plateau-800-Fill-Down-Hooded-Parka-P46883.aspx

What about mtn hardwear Kelvinator?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I traded my Montbell Alpine Light parka to a member for his Roan Plateau and have been pleased so far this winter. I have no idea what your definition of "fairly warm" is, but I'll take a stab.

I'm 6', 175lbs. and the Roan in size medium fits me very well all around. The cut is slightly longer in the rear, which is what I needed and didn't have with the Alpine Light (* I roughly have a 19"-20" torso). Hood design on the Roan is simple and warm, on par with other down parkas I've owned in the past. Hidden toggles in the hood take in volume from the hood when you need to batten down the hatches and can be done with gloves on. The weight on the Roan could be better, it's a bit portly around 18oz., but provides ample warmth while stationary down into the twenties in my experience with a light base and midlayer underneath.

Obvious areas where Golite could have shed weight are in the zippers and in the collar area. They used a microfleece lining on the collar, which is comfortable, but does increase weight. Two interior pockets are useless for me, but could be handy for gloves, flask, headlamp, etc.

As far as the specs go, Golite doesn't list the fill amount, but I remember Richard Nisley posting in the forums that the Golite had a little over 5oz. of down.

Quality? The Roan is running $119 at Golite right now. Personally, at that price, who cares as long as it works and holds up to the use you inflict on it. I'd say the quality is good, not great. You could easily pay twice as much for comparable warmth and quality.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

i noticed the 120 price tag…what do you mean its a bit portly?Puffy-preggo?I d prefer something that is warm to single digits and lower.I run cold.
    im a non-athletic but slim 5'11 175 with 19.5 inch back/torso.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I didn't like the fit of the turtle collar. IMO a turtle collar in a Parka should come up high enough to fit over your chin/mouth. The Roan had the fit on that part off so that I had to go up a size to get it to cover my chin and mouth so I didn't buy it.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

It's not the most efficient warmth/weight. The fit is definitely not baggy, it fits slim on me with some room to layer under. They could have done a better job to save a few ounces in some areas. To their credit, that wasn't the goal of this parka, the Bitterroot Parka is their warmest parka.

I wouldn't go with the Roan Plateau if you run cold and need a parka for single digit- 0F weather. You could always size up and layer appropriately to achieve that warmth, but at the temperature range you stated, a real baffled down jacket may be in order.

Wish I could help you out more.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

yeah,thats why im thinking patagonia fitzroy.I already have r1,r2 and Pat down sweater that would make the Roan redundant i guess.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I skied a 7 hour day yesterday in consistently dumping snow in the San Juan's with an air temperature of around 5 degrees and I was very happy with the performance of the Roan Plateau. I've had it since Christmas, but have only worn it casually until then. The comfort has been great but it was finally time to put it to a test.

-The pertex nylon face repelled moisture perfectly and never got damp.
    -The soft liner around the neck was perfect when I wanted to warm my face while lapping chair lifts. Yeah, they could have cut the weight here but I found it to be a worthy addition. They also use this same liner in the exterior pockets which I've been digging too.
    -The stretch knit cuffs worked well to keep all the pow from reaching my wrists. (I like my ski gloves too)

I stayed toasty. It breathed well and I don't look nearly as big of a dork as when I'm wearing my Stoic Hadron.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools