Topic

Long spoon with storage in handle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Long spoon with storage in handle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

The handle is a segment of a large-diameter carbon arrow shaft, and I used aluminum arrow hardware to make the spoon and pen interchangeable. The spoon component is the end of an anodized aluminum Vargo spoon that I received as a Christmas gift. The handle is 6 inches long (long enough for boil-in-bag meals) and holds a toothbrush, about ten days worth of dried toothpaste, a shaving razor, a quarter of a sheet of paper, and a pen (which can be screwed on in place of the spoon). Everything together weighs 18 grams (0.6 oz).

spoon

spoon1

spoon2

end

stuff

teeth

pen

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Very clever! Not only is it functional, but it has a very clean design, as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What keeps the round toothbrush shaft from rotating when you try to use it normally?

Most normal toothbrushes have a flattened handle so that they don't rotate when held.

–B.G.–

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Bob, I had the same concern about the toothbrush handle. My first design had a flat handle. But I've used this one for three brushings and rotation of the head really isn't a problem. The bristles are short and the braided polyester cord bonded to the handle gives the handle some texture. It needs a firmer grip than a standard toothbrush, and the small head makes brushing take a bit longer, but it works. I get the same thoroughly-brushed, clean-mouth feeling as at home, it just takes a little more work. It works far better than those little Colgate Wisps or the rubbery finger-toothbrushes.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Very, very cool!

This is my favorite of all the modified spoon/multi use ideas that have been posted.

It looks like something that would sell easily.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Nice! I want one, where do I sign up?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Oh snap, that's some undercover brother stuff right there.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Seriously cool, but where do you get replacement cartridges for the pen?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

I drilled out the aluminum part that the pen is mated to, so there is actually about 1.5" of ink tube in there, which should last me a while. I don't keep a journal when I backpack; I just like to have something to jot notes on (ideas for work projects, etc.).

I guess any company that sold gadgets like these would probably put as little ink as possible in the pen part, and sell replacements in four-packs for nineteen dollars each. It works for Gillette.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Colin,

You continue to amaze me. Very nice. I would probably buy one should decide to market it.

P.S. you don't need to shave on the trail. Save some weight :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"P.S. you don't need to shave on the trail."

Nick showed us photos of his grandfather out on the trail sporting a full white beard, so we know this is true.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Colin,

Does the "razor" attach to the arrow shaft spoon handle somehow?

Party On,

Newton

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

The razor doesn't attach to anything, but I don't find that it needs to. For years now I've been shaving on the trail with just a razor head like that. I pinch the ends with my thumb and middle finger, and adjust the pressure and the angle by pressing my index finger against the back. It's slower than shaving with a complete razor, but it works once you get the hang of it.

When I'm on the trail by myself I don't bother, but when I'm going with my wife, I try to keep the bristles under control.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I found this rather neat little idea for a travel/trail razor.

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/carzor-stashes.php

Carzor

Yeah it's gonna be a little heavier but it's dual use. The shaving mirror could be used for signaling for a rescue after a serious shaving accident. ;-)

"When I'm on the trail by myself I don't bother, but when I'm going with my wife, I try to keep the bristles under control."

So you're the only one shaving on the trail?

Methinks I sense a double standard involving a triple edged super ultralight disposable safety razor.

Question:

So you've been convinced that not growing a beard on the trail is inherently lighter?

All in fun.;-)

Party On,

Newton

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Nick showed us photos of his grandfather out on the trail sporting a full white beard, so we know this is true."

Sometimes we need to listen to our elders. Grandpa said that my diet was poor and razors are barbaric instruments.

caveman with fast food.

So I changed my ways. Threw away my razor and changed to a Paleo diet.

Caveman eating

Grandpa also said real mean don't use trekking poles. I can't find a hiking staff like he had. May Colin could build one?

Gandalf

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Colin,

Where did you get the tooth brush?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Jack, I made the head of the toothbrush from a bigger toothbrush. The handle is pultruded carbon fiber rod with a bit of braided polyester cord bonded onto the end. The handle is bonded to the head with epoxy.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Colin, would you mind explaining the spoon part a little more? I'm curious about what you used to attach it to the arrow shaft and how it was done.

Thanks,

Sean

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools