Topic

Experiences with satellite phones?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Experiences with satellite phones?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

When you say "negative test" you mean you didn't get reception?

It doesn't take much obstruction to block reception

My GPS works under trees. Sometimes in a steep canyon it quits working.

To me, that test is actually more useful because I can relate it to what I'll actually experience.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

"When you say "negative test" you mean you didn't get reception?"

>>>>I did NOT receive a OK reply back from ACR indicating the signal from the PLB was completed.

"It doesn't take much obstruction to block reception."

>>>>>This instrument I found to be more sensitive to an "open sky" compared to any Garmin GPS I own

"To me, that test is actually more useful because I can relate it to what I'll actually experience."

This is why I demonstrated the picture of the sky to location the signal from the PLB was used….not 100%, but it give on a feel where to initiate the signal. Above tree line or at the endge of a body of water with few tree crowns should give you POSITIVE tests. Never tried it in a canyon and individuals that have it would good to hear from.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Thank you for the test data. Funny, but I.m sure that my spot would signal from all of those.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

You can learn a lot more about how PLBs operate here:
    http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/

I'll wait here while you go read …

… Done already? Here's a quick summary:

– PLB tests or "I'm OK" messages sent through 406link.com, send one short signal burst, to preserve battery life.

– PLB emergency activations send a signal continuously, until the single-use battery dies, specified as a minimum of 24 hours.

– PLB locations are determined by both GPS coordinates sent with the signal, and by satellite ranging from your emergency signal even if you don't send a GPS fix. Satellite ranging can take a while, depending on satellite locations at the time of activation.

All this means:

– A successful PLB test signal received by 406link.com means everything is working. Hooray! Put your PLB away and stop worrying.

– Failure of a PLB test signal to be received by 406link.com, or with no position, or with a poor position, means almost nothing: your burst could have been sent when a satellite wasn't visible, a bird could have flown by and blocked your burst, the Internet link to 406link.com might be down, you didn't have a good GPS fix when you pushed the button, …

If PLBs had a high failure rate in actual emergencies, we would read about many more dead people found clutching their PLBs with dead batteries. Worldwide – not just in USAF/USCG territory.

406link.com is run by the same people who are glad to sell you a new PLB after you've run your battery down repeatedly sending messages through 406link.com and a few don't go through. Think about it.

— Rex

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Rex….Your comments are well presented and reinforce Mr. Ryan's comments from ACR / ARTEX – ACR Electronics, Inc (**) in the explanation of the "test situations" we have been speaking to are NOT indicative when used in "distress activation"…..though a bit discerning when use in the "test mode" when you would like it to send OK messages.

To summarize, if the PLB has been registered with the national authorities in charge of beacon registration (NOAA for U.S.A. http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/ ) and is activated in an emergency situation, the PLB would be transmitted every 50 seconds for over 24 hours. The UIN encoded signal once received by the COSPAS-SARSAT http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/ satellite system will be recognized within 10 minutes as the signal is reinforced every 50 seconds.

"A successful PLB test signal received by 406link.com means everything is working. Hooray! Put your PLB away and stop worrying."

**"The PLB when tested with the optional 406Link Messaging system has to be done during a clear sky with the antenna deployed and no buildings/ metallic objects/ trees/ mountains/ or other radio interference nearby for it to work at its optimum. When performing the self-test and GPS test you have to keep in mind that the signal is only sent out once per self-test/GPS test and if not performed in the best conditions the signal may become corrupt and the satellite may not be able to recognize the Unique Identification Number (UIN) that is encoded and sent with the 406 MHz signal.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Thank You, Rex!

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I have been using both Iridium and Globalstar for several years now. I loved Globalstar many years ago when I could get good reception, then basically put it on the shelf for the last few years until recently. Now that they have launched the new satellites, I have used my new 1700 model extensively this summer and have been very pleased with its service. Most times I get reception immediately…there are a few times that I have a wait a minute or two until I get reception. I just try to make sure that I have a fairly clear view of the sky and it has worked well for me.

I would suggest renting if your use is only on an occasional basis.

Russ Smith at Sky Call Satellite in Salt Lake City is a really good small company to rent from. Russ is a real people person and I have had a positive experience doing business with him.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

I love it! A successful test is GOOD. A failing test is GOOD. It's all GOOD in PLB-land.

tal·is·man
    ˈtalismən,-iz-/
    noun
    noun: talisman; plural noun: talismans

an object, typically an inscribed ring or stone, that is thought to have magic powers and to bring good luck.
    synonyms: lucky charm, charm, fetish, amulet, mascot, totem, juju

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

@Rex, thanks for your info, and appreciate your insight….. "Hooray! Put your PLB away and stop worrying."

Regarding actual SAR call w inReach, scroll down to the bottom of the blog to the Aug 20 entry by "Greg": http://www.wildsnow.com/7796/inreach-delorme-review-reach/

Also "Greg" posted on this thread, scroll down to Aug 19 post:
    http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41236

In a nutshell: "The 'emergency beacon system' used was a Delorme InReach, and I can't sing its praises enough."

I was climbing in the Monyezuma bowl a week later, and the limited horizon (more than a 25° elev mask angle) would be a daunting challenge for GPSrs and PLBs. By the way, I found no cellphone coverage even on the top of Castle Peak.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this informative thread.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Acrartex, who makes PLBs, created a good video that explains how PLBs work, and compares PLBs to other devices. Naturally, PLBs win, and it's a little dated (doesn't include modern satellite messengers), but most of the video is pretty good.

Why a Personal Locator Beacon?

— Rex

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Rex, This is one of the few threads I have in watched list. I am still very happy with my Inmarast Isat phone pro, I was going to upgrade to Iridium but found it too expensive.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

I recently picked up the Iridium Extreme 9575. In my first test of it, when I was in Mill Valley this weekend under a quasi-wooded area but a section that was clear, my 9575 failed to register with the network: I'm hoping that perhaps it was due to user error as it was a clear morning sky too. Or it could possibly be due to no satellite passing overhead at that moment also. I'm only using it as a back-up to my mobile and have my ACR ResQLink as my last resort. Eric PS: Has anybody run into any difficulties setting up their Iridium devices for GEOS? I wish there was a test function.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Eric, John Abela uses that model, might be worth messaging him.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Thanks!

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Hi John, I have my Iridium Extreme 9575 as backup to my iPhone and as an option of "last resort" my ACR ResQLink PLB. My question: Do you know if there is a way to test the GEOS functionality of the Extreme? I registered my phone on the GEOS site and was provided some archaic instructions to get the phone to work with GEOS when I press my SOS button. Sadly, I'm not 100% confident that I completed everything correctly. Do you know of any way to test the configuration? Thanks. Eric

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Eric, Did you mean to send this in a Pm? Also worth talking to the company you purchaed it from, you spent big time cash on this so they will help out.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Thanks for catching that mistake. And yes, I'll send an email to the company that I purchased my Extreme from as well.

Dave T

@davet

Use Iridium sat phones regularly for work. They work well in terms of connecting, occasionally will drop after a minute or two, and the sound quality can be a little funky (e.g. "Iridium slur"). But I definitely feel like I can count on them in an emergency. In an emergency I would make sure to provide all the important info immediately (in case of a drop after while).

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools