Topic

Suggestions Please: Imusa Cool Touch Cook Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Suggestions Please: Imusa Cool Touch Cook Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

Ive decided to build a new cookset over the winter months and Im experimenting with the Imusa 10cm mug.

First things first, the handle had to go. Then I made a coozy from some volara foam and lined it with aluminum tape.

My first thought was to add a wire bale but thought the short mug may tip easily while being moved. Instead I cut two tabs from a sheet of cork and used RTV Sealant to adhere them to the sides of the pot at a comfortable handling distance and then transferred the tab stencil to the foam coozy and notched it out so the pot would slide into it.

This works pretty well and I may decide to go with it. The cork stays cool to the touch and I dont have to insulate a bale or use a bandana/pot grabber to handle the pot.

Only down side is that if my stove flares up flames can run up the side of my pot and burn the cork. I dont see this being a big problem but if anyone has a better way to insulate the pot Im open to suggestions.

I thought of self sealing silicone tape but Ive never worked with it. If I wrapped the top 1 1/2 inches of the pot would the tape stay cool enough that I could lift the pot from the stove?

Is it possible to buy small silicone sheets that I could cut tabs from in the same manner I used with the cork?

Maybe something with carbon felt?

Any ideas are welcome, thanks.Imusa 10cmImusa 10cm weight

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What about a silicone wristband? The cork does look better.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Thanks Ken. I tried wrist bands with my Heineken Pot but they always got uncomfortably hot. I also tried a length of broken resistance band once. That was a bit better the wrist bands but only a bit. I was surprised at how quickly the weight of silicone bands added up… a piece here a piece there and you have a half ounce of the stuff.

Trying to keep this set up as simple as possible, less fiddle factor, miscellaneous parts and pieces. And yes, the cork looks much better. If I decide to go with this set up I m going to make another coozy and cut some better fitting tabs to give the whole set a nice look.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It looks too heavy. The scale shows that it weighs 2.8 something.

–B.G.–

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Nice work. It looks great, and the idea to use cork "stickers" is clever. Why put aluminum foil tape on the inside of the cozy? It doesn't reflect any radiant heat in that arrangement, and the foam is probably strong enough on its own.

Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

The scale shows 2.8 ounces, which isn't bad at all because that looks to include the weight of the cup.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Chris,

You've been had…

by

— BG —

humor.

Most of us don't understand it.

But Bob is a knowledgable and helpful person.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

No humor intended, Nick. What did you have in mind?

–B.G.–

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Colin – After the first boil test I set the hot pot on a small piece of foam and got melted foam. Id gladly switch to a more heat resistant foam and eliminate the tape if possible,any suggestions? I considered kapton tape but I had the foil tape already and its much cheaper.

Bob – Clearly there are lighter options out there but this setup with stove, lid, and windscreen comes in at 3.5 oz. Thats a full 2 oz lighter than my last cook set and this one is much easier to use and more durable.

Chris – Thanks, I thought 2.8 oz was pretty good as well, and youre correct that weight includes the cup.

I appreciate the input guys – My goal with this was not to produce the lightest set available but to lighten and simplify my cookset while increasing durability. Ive ordered some more pots and plan on experimenting more with this set up. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

Hught
    BPL Member

@hught

You could use it instead of the cork – it is heat resistant but you may have to make it thicker so it's cooler to touch.
    http://sugru.com/

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Bruce, I'm surprised that the foam melted. Closed-cell nylon foam sheets tolerate higher temperatures, and come in low densities, but they are difficult to find. Neoprene, silicone foam, and nitrile foam tolerate high temperatures but they are fairly heavy.

Have you considered thin polyester fleece? It could double as a hat.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Colin – I have a bit of neoprene that would withstand the heat of the pot but its 1/2 inch thick so too bulky, heavy, and more than I really need. I may experiment with some 1/8 or 1/4 inch. The aluminum tape doesnt stretch so the coozy has to be cut accurately to fit the pot without sliding off. It would be much easier to get a snug fit if I could take advantage of the stretch factor of neoprene.

Ive never worked with silicone or nitrile foam but I'll look into it. On such a small project the weight difference may not be a problem.

I hadnt considered fleece, great idea though, I especially like the dual use aspect.

Thanks.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Turn a loose fitting cozy upside down. Partially slide it over the top of the pot to grab it from the stove. Set the pot on the ground or on a flat insulated piece, then push the cozy down until it fully covers the pot for cozy cook time.

This will work with small pots, that your hand can span, but not with quart plus sized ones.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Thanks Joe, great idea!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools