Topic

Zpacks sleeping bag – side zipper vs bottom?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks sleeping bag – side zipper vs bottom?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Veronique Dault
    BPL Member

@verndo

So, I've narrowed my search for a new quilt/sleeping bag to a Zpacks 10D Long Wide bag.

I'm a curvy 5'8" woman who is trying to find a one size fits all kind of solution and who tends to prefer cooler climates when hiking. So, until I can afford a second bag, I want this bag to do it all.

I'm a side sleeper, I don't enjoy feeling restricted and love to control temperature by sticking my leg out (like I do in bed). So I'm hoping the 10D bag will act more like a blanket in all but the coldest of situations.

Keeping this in mind (blanket mode 80% of the time, side sleeper), should I go for a side zipper + draft tube since it will go all the way around the foot box and thus be able to fully open and if so, which side OR keep the bottom zipper sans tube? With continuous baffles, does zipper placement really matter?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I think for you, you'll want it to go all the way down to the footbox so you can stick a foot out. Additionally, I have found anything but a long side zip to mean trouble in the dark, when you're tired and cold. Imagine getting up to pee and then getting "locked out" of your nice warm bag. Not fun. I've never tried a bottom zip, but it sounds like a nightmare to shuffle into.

If you ever use a sleeping bag liner, this annoyance will be magnified!

Finally, the draft tube could be useful. For instance, the bag doesn't have to be too warm- until it REALLY has to, where your life might depend on it from a surprise freeze. Have the capability to go full mummy.

-M

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I'm a side sleeper and I went with the no zipper option on my ZPacks 30deg quilt. So far, I'm glad I did. I was comfortable sleeping with night time temperatures hitting the low 30degF range in the GTW last September. I like the freedom of a quilt rather than a sleeping bag with zipper.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Which side the zipper on doesn't seem to matter much. Two considerations, if you have a partner that you hike with get the zipper on the other side as their bag. Makes it easier to open up bags so you can face each and play "cards" when it's cold at night.

On the other hand, I do find having the zipper on the opposite side as my dominant hand useful. It's slightly easier to reach across your body to (un)zip a bag than to cramp your dominant arm up reaching for a zipper pull on the same side.

Veronique Dault
    BPL Member

@verndo

hahahahaha! love it! that alone should justify the no zip or side zip option vs. a bottom one ;)

Heather Hohnholz
    BPL Member

@hawke

I'm a side sleeper too, and I got the zipper on the side of my extra-wide bag. I like it that way just fine, long as you snug up the top. I've taken it down to close to 20 (its rating), and it does well. I will say though, for your use (mostly quilt-like) I would definitely get the long zipper. I can't "foot vent" in mine, and that makes my bag less useful in warmer situations. I ended up getting an EE quilt for lighter use because of that.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

My Zpack sleeping bag is a top zip – easy to open or close, works fine as a quilt, and as a side sleeper, I'm never sleeping on the zipper.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"Keeping this in mind (blanket mode 80% of the time, side sleeper), should I go for a side zipper + draft tube since it will go all the way around the foot box and thus be able to fully open and if so, which side OR keep the bottom zipper sans tube? With continuous baffles, does zipper placement really matter?"

If you decide on a draft tube, keep in mind that, unlike other bag makers, Zpacks does not add additional material to stiffen the tube area closest to the zipper to minimize snagging. The zipper snags. Something else I've never seen. The tube is also sewn through to the bag. This means no insulation next to the zipper.

IMHO, the Zpacks bag is best used the way it was designed: Zipper on bottom with no draft tube. (assuming one is not a night time thrasher and can keep the zipper on the bottom and away from cold drafts)

Good luck w/ your decision. The bag is nice and puffy!

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi Mr.Barber, I've just posted in your original thread regarding side sleeping in zpacks bag. I didn't quite understand why the zipper side was considered thebottom until I saw this thread it seems the concern is that the draft tube wil get caught in thezipper or drafts will occur. Are you having problems with this?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

On a heavy-duty sleeping bag, the draft tube will often be covered partially by an anti-snag strip. Therefore, it is almost impossible for the zipper to snag. On my Zpacks bag, there is no anti-snag strip. Therefore, I have to be pretty careful to avoid zipper snags.

–B.G.–

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks Bob, it seems we're chatting in two threads now. I guess if I choose the zpacks I'll have to be careful, they are so light that i think I might be willing to deal with it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I got a 20 degree 6'6 long/wide bag with no zipper this past September. It comes in at 22oz WOW! Basically it is a quilt and it suits me very well. I am side and back sleeper through out the night. I am very happy with the weight of the bag and the performance so far! I am taking it to the GGG at Henry Coe St Park next week to test it more in the cold and rainy weather.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks Jay, can I ask how tall you are?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

6'3

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Decisions decisions. I guess i'll go extra long and I'll go large to be safe

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Mr. O'Neil,
    I had Joe put two draft tubes on mine, since I wanted the zipper on "top" (actually in front, since I'm on my side). The zipper does occasionally snag, but since I'm aware of the potential problem, and don't just mindlessly try to zip or unzip, I seldom have a problem. I usually put my thumb or finger just in front of the zip, and things are fine. If it does snag, I don't try to force it, but back up, push things out of the way, and continue. In my experience, it doesn't really snag much more than any other bag I've had.

FWIW on size, I'm 5' 10", 195 lbs., and got the long (6' 2") wide version. I got the extra length because I've found that sleeping on my side in a semi-fetal position seems to suck up extra length of a bag with the extra bends to accommodate. Fit and temp ratings are fine.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks for dropping in! I went ahead and ordered an extra long and wide as I sometimes sleep in a semi fetal position as well. This will be 4 inches longer than I am, just as the long version is for you. The wide version should hopefully let me layer without compressing the down in the bag to much if I need more warmth.

Texas Chinooks

@texaschinooks

Locale: DFW

Veronique Dault (verndo), if you purchased the Zpack sleeping bag are you happy with it? Does the wide seem too wide and leave too much open space inside your bag?

I'm 5'8", 165 and wear a size 10 to 12. My husband just measured my shoulders with arms at the side and they were 45" around and my hips are 40" … both of which will fit within the stated 56" girth.

I don't want to get a wide if I don't need it. My whole purpose with getting this lighter and lower rated bag was so I don't have to wear so much clothing to bed.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"both of which will fit within the stated 56" girth"

When you think about the girth, you might want to know whether that is an internal or external dimension.

–B.G.–

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools