Topic

Tarptent Notch + Large Neoair Xlite or Xtherm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Notch + Large Neoair Xlite or Xtherm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Auer

@mankind117

Has anyone used the notch with the large (78×25 inch) versions of the neoair xlite or xtherm that are tapered at the ends? I think I saw pictures once of the notch with the large version of the original neoairs that were rectangular. It looked rather tight at the ends. I'm wondering if the new tapered shape would fit better for us taller folks that need the longer/wider mat?

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I use a L All Season in my Notch and it is a tight fit. The pad corners push the inner's corners. I think an L X-Lite or X-Therm would be a much better fit.

-Mark in St. Louis

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I just received my Notch and was testing my pads in it this weekend and thought this might help.

This is an old style rectangular Large NeoAir (25X77) and it fits fine. The tapered pads would be an easy fit.

Foot end of Notch with Large NeoAir

Notch with Large NeorAir - Foot end

Head end of Notch with Large NeoAir and Montbell Pillow (Note: the pillow would have to sit on top of the pad or be stuffed side-ways (on it's side) down the gap at the of top of the pad).

Notch with Large NeorAir - Head end

The Large (rectangular) NeoAir pushes very lightly on the corners of the bathtub floor but as you can see in this picture it is not causing any problem or deforming the bathtub floor. This would not happen with the tapered pad.

Notch with Large NeorAir - Outside view of bathtub floor

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Do you find the interior confining at all?

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I guess it depends on what your expectations are…

For sleeping, which is all I've done so far in my Notch, it is just fine for me. I have the std net interior.

Mike W…How do you like the "solid" interior???

-Mark in St. Louis

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> Do you find the interior confining at all? <<

This is very much a personal thing… I don't mind small shelters. The Notch actually feels fairly roomy to me but somebody else might say it feels like a coffin. With two doors and two vestibules there is certainly an impression of space.
    The fact that I can get my Large NeoAir inside this shelter says to me that it's not that small. I don't often use my large NeoAir but it's nice to have that option if I feel like taking a "luxury trip" :). With the 48" NeoAir that I usually use on my trips, the Notch feels quite roomy to me (See pic below).

Short NeoAir in Notch

>> Mike W…How do you like the "solid" interior??? <<

The semi-solid inner is definitely a bit more confining than an all mesh interior but I'm used to that as well. My Copper Spur and Fly Creek have partial solid sides and I really like them. That's why I went with the semi-solid inner with the Notch. I find that the higher sides on my other tents really helps keep me warm (less wind blowing over me).

I've only just received my Notch, so I can't say for sure how it will be but based on my personal needs and my experience with my other shelters, I'm pretty sure I'm going to really like having the solid inner. I may purchase the all mesh inner at a later date if I find the semi-solid inner is too hot in the warmer months.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Anyone have a picture of a large XLite or XTherm inside the Notch?

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

One more try….

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

It appears the floors of the Notch and Moment DW are virtually the same in dimensions.

I'm getting a Moment DW as soon as the semi-solid ineriors are available.

As a "CYA" move I'll try using my hiking poles with the Moment DW ala the Notch setup just to see if they might work in an emergency. If they do I'll probably sew in some kind of Velcro wrap to hold them in place.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Chris S,
    In the TT Notch "slide show" (photos under the main one) there is a photo from Tristan Stewart of his Notch with a Nemo 25" pad inside.
    25" mat
    (the other end will look the same)
    That is another rectangular pad, like the one posted by Mike W and as Mike points out a tapered mat will fit easier still.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

"It appears the floors of the Notch and Moment DW are virtually the same in dimensions."

That's not what I'd say at all. They do both measure 20" wide at the head and foot ends of the interior. But the Moment DW widens to 42" in the middle while the Notch widens to 32". That seems like a significant difference, at least to me. Total sq feet is 18.1 (Moment) to 15.1 (Notch).

Because the widths at head and foot are identical, however, I doubt whether the larger size of Moment interior provides much advantage over Notch with regard to use of wide sleeping pads.

Paul Huber

@ls2379

Locale: Central Virginia

When I was looking to purchase my Notch I kept comparing the sq footage of floor space to my Scarp I and figured I would be cramped in the notch. What I really figured out is that I use my Scarp I in the winter when I am carrying a lot of gear and like to have it ready in case I need it in the tent. With the Notch, I use it in warmer weather and don't have as much gear that I want in the tent. I have been pleased with the Notch. I can get my pad and the gear I want to have in the tent, in the tent and dont feel like I am lacking for room. Happy Notch Owner.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Same here, none of my comments were intended to disparage the Notch. I like to think of it as my Goldilocks tent: not too small, not too big, just right. I sometimes bring all my gear inside, pack and shoes fit below my feet or above my head.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools