Topic

Salvation in Skykomish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Salvation in Skykomish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to:

Salvation in Skykomish

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Great read….. Dinsmore Hiker Haven is no longer where you remember. They relocated further west along Highway 2 to the town of Baring. They now have a large barn to put thru-hikers up for the night. They have a shower, bathroom, internet, TV, bunk-beds, etc. Great people. Across the railroad tracks is a small post office/deli that has great food and beer! Everytime I head for Stevens Pass I make sure to stop off at Dinsmore's to see if any thru-hikers need a ride to the Pass. All the hikers I give lifts to are happy as can be to get a lift, but more importantly having a nice warm welcome from a trail angel.

Sorry the weather was so wet for you. I always seem to luck out and get sun.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I see you use a pack cover. Did it keep everything dry, or did water get in through the straps/back panel? Where did you keep your water when using the pack cover?
    Thanks.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

You thru hikers are a rad lot.

Is that Eric Payne in one of the photos, Lawton?

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

There is a type on the picture (should be Glacier Peak, not Peaks).

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Glad there are those willing to be trail angels out there. Interesting stories.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ross,

There is a typo in the body of your post (type should be typo).

:)

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

During my hitchhiking trip from San Diego to NYC, I relied on the kindness of strangers for my rides, and I always asked them why they had stopped to pick me up. The answers I got varied widely, but shared a commonality that seems to be true for 'trail angels' as well. These are people who see someone trying to do something difficult (hike a long trail, travel without money), feel a need to help, and most importantly actually do something about it. I had people buy me food, offer me short-term work to make some cash, flat give me money, drive miles out of their way to drop me in a safer spot, and all sorts of other stuff. There really are some good people in this world. You still gotta watch out for the assholes, of course, but most assholes aren't the type to do anything about it. They might throw a bottle at your head, as long as they don't have to stop the car to do it. It's too much work for them to really ruin a person's day.

Anyway, I enjoyed the read! Keep up the good work.

Lawton G
    BPL Member

@disco-1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

@John G – I no longer use a pack cover. Just the umbrella and an inside waterproof pack liner bag.

@Eugene
    – That sure is Eric "Hearsay" Payne in one of the photos!

@Daniel
    P – Thanks for sharing your insight. Lots of good folks out there … a lot more of them than the bad folks.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everybody!

-Disco

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools