Topic

New idea for a jacket/ sleeping bag combo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New idea for a jacket/ sleeping bag combo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AnnaLisa Aaron
    BPL Member

@amaaron

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is another idea for the jacket/ bag combo. Looks pretty nice compared to a lot of the other designs for the same type of thing. So who is going to be the first to make one?

http://thelook.today.com/_news/2012/03/26/10780437-designers-sleeping-bag-coat-transforms-and-warms-detroits-homeless

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

It's a cool idea, and I applaud the designer's ambitions and her interest in outreach. For backpacking, though, from a function standpoint, I have the same misgivings about this design as I do about all jacket/sleeping bag combinations. People need more insulation at night, when temps are lower and one side of their body is in contact with the ground. Any sleeping bag warm enough to sleep outside at night would be too warm to wear as a jacket unless there is extra night-time insulation that can be removed. The traditional mountaineering combination of a heavy jacket and an "elephant's foot" sleeping bag does just that.

On the other hand, the conditions that would make the jacket/sleeping bag combination ideal are warm(ish) nights and cold days, which might be exactly what a person living in a shelter in Detroit experiences in winter. I could see these jacket/sleeping bag combinations being popular, even if they don't take off among backpackers.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

If the jacket has good ventilation that can be closed up for "sleeping bag mode" it could alleviate the problem you mention (which I completely agree with).

For example…my running jacket has mesh in the armpits and another panel in the back (shoulder blade area) that can be opened or closed to keep my temperatures regulated very well in the winter.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I agree with Colin's comments.

With temps in the upper 20sF I found it impossible to stay warm even with "The traditional mountaineering combination of a heavy jacket and an "elephant's foot" sleeping bag".

I tried it around 1970 for one night. I had an Eddie Bauer bag rated at -20F and the warmest down parka EB sold at the time. From the chest on down I was fine (covered by the bag) but I could not keep my upper chest, head, arms and shoulders warm enough to sleep for long. I just about tore out the bottom of the bag trying to get my whole body down into it. Very long night. Very good lesson.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools