Topic

WPB fabric break down on it’s own?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WPB fabric break down on it’s own?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I have a 15 year old (or more) Bibler bivy sack made out their ToddTex fabric. It's never been used. Any reason to think that the membrane would bread down on it's own, just from age? Or should it be good as new? Planning to do a few bathtub tests, but curious if there's any conventional wisdom on this.

steven franchuk

@surf

My sister has a 25 year old Early Minter gortex tent(the original Gortex). The fabric is in great shape and is still waterproof. Gortex, Event, and I guess ToddTex use PTFE (Teflon). It is very stable stuff. About the only thing I can think of that would damage the material is prolonged exposure to UV light. However there is no guaranty that the fabric the membrane is bonded to and the bonding agent may not have held up as well.

Take it out and test it. It's probably in good shape.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools