Topic

making use of an old bag, help please.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) making use of an old bag, help please.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I have an old Peak (Coleman) rectangular bag from the 90's. The fabric is still in good shape, but after being stored in the stuff sack for a decade the fill just isn't bouncing back. So I'm thinking of removing the zipper and hood, trimming the excess fabric, and making it into a quilt. 12oz of 900 down looks like a good solution, but the the fabric isn't down proof – will i be constantly picking feathers out of my stuff? if i need to avoid down, what is a good modern synthetic equivalent that i can use in the bag?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Michael,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think this has bad news written all over it. I just don't see this happening no matter which way you cut it. 12oz 900fp down is going to run you $84-$100..then you want to stuff that into a lower end shell that isn't even down proof….it doesn't make sense. I think down leakage will be minimal given the high quality down and minimal amount of feathers…but I can't help but to ask why?? That's like putting exotic ostrich leather seats in a 1984 honda civic. High end down belongs with high end shell fabrics in order to truly utilize all its weight saving potential.

Synethics won't work either without having to disassemble the entire bag…you can't just shove synthetic fibers into the cleaned out channels of your old bag. Synthetic insulation should be continuous with the fabric and sandwhiched between both sides of the fabric and sewn through.

Honestly, either sew your own quilt by buying the right materials, or save the money and put it towards an affordable quilt from Enlightened Equipment.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Something to remember is that synthetic fabrics break down over time. A sleeping bag's reasonable 10-year lifespan won't see it, but after that, the fabric gets weaker, less reliable, and seams start popping. You could find yourself sewing and cutting everything perfect, only to have it start breaking down within the first few trips.

Spend a little more on some new shell fabric.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

No hurt feelings at all and I appreciate your insight. I hate to waste an otherwise decent bag and a total DIY new bag is beyond my skills. I figured if i could get by with some basic cutting, stuffing, and re-sewing skills that I could certainly manage to make that a successful project.

I'm not at the point of being able to justify the cost of a down comforter, but I've got a couple of plan B synthetic mummy bags I've been looking at.

Cheers – Michael

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

If I were in your position, I'd be looking towards a cheap synthetic bag LONG before spending $100 in down and putting it in a sub-optimal and compromised DIY shell.

I have advocated several times on this site for the $100 EMS Solstice 20. It's an excellent bag, compresses well, doesn't weigh much, and is consistently warm. You can often find it for as low as $60, with some patience.

Now, that being said, if you want to get the best help on this project, take a few pictures of the fabric and the areas you want to re-sew. See if you can find out exactly what the original fabric is through the internet, contacting the company, or the tags. Once you have that info, bring this thread to the MYOG forum, where the experts can advise you how to make the best of this project.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

nope, no sense in pursuing the DIY in this case. Can you provide some links for the EMS Solstice 20? I did a quick search and the only ones I've found for sale are listed as junior size.

I've got my eyes on this one currently. Seems to be well reviewed and has a decent balance between price and weight and performance (for a synthetic). http://www.rei.com/product/794797/rei-lumen-sleeping-bag

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Wow! Looks like it was discontinued in 2013! I can't imagine EMS won't replace it soon- the 20º bracket is a great place for a $100 sleeping bag, I would not be surprised if it was a bestseller.

Keep an eye out for a similar bag from EMS at the same price point. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the Kelty Cosmic 20º. A girl I used to date had one, and loved it. Very similar to the EMS bag, with a slightly thicker/heavier outer fabric.

I'll keep my eye out for the next generation of the Solstice 20. It really is a wonderful bag.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

a lot of people stand by their North Face Cat's Meow. It's a budget friendly 20 degree synthetic bag that is pretty tried and true. You can find them online for under $150. But then again, you could go to elightenedequipment and get a much lighter, warmer for the weight, compressible down quilt (e.g., a RevelationX) for only a bit more. Trust me, its much more expensive to save a few bucks now to buy something that works okay only to be replaced later when you want something lighter or warmer or better etc.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Have to agree with the previous poster that Enlightened Equipment is a no brainer for getting a high quality quilt for a very reasonable price. To me, a quality sleep system isn't the place to pinch pennies. You are talking about a 10 year (or more for Down) investment.

Synthetic 20 degree from $185

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/prodigyx-20/

Down 20 degree from $205

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-20/

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Enlightened Equipment. / thread

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I hadn't seen the Enlightened Equipment gear in my cursory readings about quilts. I like what I see and after size modifications the down bag is only $60 more than the synthetic mummy I had been looking at. Thanks guys :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools