Topic

GG G4 or GG Gorilla

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG G4 or GG Gorilla

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Can people who have either one of these packs comment on what they like or what they don't like??? Can't find many reviews on the G4.
    I'm currently using a golite jam 50 for the past few years in the winter and a GG Kumo in the summer. Most of my trips are 2 night through 4 night at least once a month year round in the NE if that makes a difference
    Any feedback would be great.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The G4 is one of Glen Van Peski's origonal designs. This is an OLD design as far as backpacks go. I believe you can get a pattern for it from Outdoors Wilderness Fabric's.

Both are good packs, but I find them way too big for what I need. I use a Miniposa from about 6-7 years ago for longer trips. The Murmur works for up to two weeks, though it is overloaded…the harness is OK…the new buckles suck when coupled with the herringbone pattern straps. The unique feature on most of Gossamer Gear packs used to be the pad pouch mounted outside the pack. Many manufacturors offer this, or, some varrient of this, nowdays. I use a 5 piece NightLite pad, cut and taped, that fits into the pouches, and, supplys a frame good for 25-30 pounds.

As with most light gear, they are not real durrable. The Kumo is a beefed up version of the Murmur. Most will last about 60 days on the trail without any repairs, but plan on some repairs if you overload them, or wish to use them for longer. Usually, most UL gear is good for 60-80 nights on the trail. UL gear from GG is no different.

Anyway, the G4 (and G5) is massive! It will hold most anything you need for a month out! Weight limits are the big restriction, not volume. I usually took my older GVP G4 (second hand) out when I loaded for family canoe trips. Tent, Tarp, cloths and extra cloths, food and extra food…over 30 pounds. It held up well but I gave it away to a partner last year. I never used it.

I typically hike/paddle the ADK's.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

The reason I looking @ such large packs is because I'm switching from Down to synthetic quilts an maybe jackets. I've about had it with the stinky feather smell.
    Also a lot of the time I get a lot of mixed weather rain & snow an so on. An sometimes when I'm in the south west I bring climbing gear..
    Speaking of ill be hitting up the trap dike on colded in about 2 weeks an maybe the north face of gothics.
    Love the Daks

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

I absolutely love my Gorilla! I used the old version for my PCT hike, and recently purchased the new 2012 version, which I am very happy with. I have bad shoulders, so I need something with a frame, and the gorilla is a great choice. It always fits everything I need perfectly. I will say that I get a bit more out of my packs than mentioned in the second post. On my first Gorilla, I hiked for about 150 days on the PCT, including 3 weeks of trail work (read: heavy loads, lots of tools). My original gorilla was pretty torn up by that point, but I still managed to take it on several weekend and week long trips after that. I only have a few week trips on my new gorilla, but I expect that it will last much longer as I treat it much better than I did on the PCT. Hopefully I can get a few years out of this gorilla.

If you have other specific questions, feel free to PM me since I might not check this thread again

Evan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools