Topic

Combining Quilts to boost warmth

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Combining Quilts to boost warmth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I have seen a post or two from people that have combined quilts to boost warmth. I am thinking of doing something similar with a 40 degree and a 20 degree quilt that combined inside a Bivy would give me zero degree coverage. Interested to hear from a few more people that have done something similar and how effective it was.

The alternative would be to go with a zero degree quilt but for me I think I would get a lot of use in shoulder seasons from a 20 degree quilt by itself and would have relatively few occasions to need zero degree coverage. Therefore the idea of a combination approach would seem to be smart unless there is something I am not thinking about.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I combined two quilts when I was Thru-Hiking the AT. It was a little heavier than a dedicated quilt but it was nice being able to adjust the temp during my trip. I added buttons to the outer perimeter of the quilts. If I were doing it again I'd use velcro because a couple buttons pulled out when I thrashed in the night.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools