Topic

Thumbholes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thumbholes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Does any one have any ideas on how to make durable thumbholes on Merino or Powerstretch tops, these fabrics seem to be the most common tops with holes. They are great for sealing in heat!

thanks Jon

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

First of all, the garment needs to have adequate sleeve length. My Icebreaker and Ibex shirts which have thumbholes have longer cut sleeve lengths than other shirts which don't have them.

Icebreaker has the best thumbhole construction I've seen, using horseshoe shaped reinforcing pieces around the thumbhole, both inside and out, and is meticulously machined stitched. I think that some form of buttonhole stiching around a slit for a thumbhole might be considered for a homemade mod. But please ask someone familiar with sewing knit materials. Wool, in particular, is not a strong fiber.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Jon, my Smartwool Shadow hoody has thumb holes. The thumbhole is sewn into a cuff that is then sewn onto the end of the sleeve. This works rather well. See my review of the Shadow for some details.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools