Topic

DuoMid pitching tips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DuoMid pitching tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Greetings everyone, I just returned from spending a month and a half in Ecuador, most of which was spent trekking in the Central Andes. I camped in a DuoMid I recently purchased through the gear swap here. While I loved it for the most part, I was never able to get a really great pitch. I always had some unevenness and sag. I followed the pitching instructions on MLD's site: Stake out the rear corners fairly taught, stake out the front two a bit looser, make sure the shape is rectangular, insert pole (at around 140cm + pole extender), tighten 4 corners, stake out front/back/side tie outs.

What is your basic order of operations? Any general or specific tips and tricks?

Thanks kindly!
    Brad

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Brad,
    For me, the key has been to get the corners staked out in a perfect taut rectangle before attempting to erect the center pole. This has fixed most of the pitching problems I had early on.

taut
    Keira demonstrates the perfect pitch

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I will agree with Ike, getting a taut rectangle first makes pitching much easier. I don't even know what height I pitch the trekking pole, by the time I make camp I could care less if it matches a specified height. I staked the four corners with 4-5 inches of guyline from tension lock in a nice rectangle, with zipper open but bottom buckle still buckled, I open trekking pole flip lock and raise it until duomid nice and taut. Afterwards zip closed, and tension guy lines to nice and snug. I was doing it wrong if I spend more than 2.5 minutes setting camp. I must admit I do also cheat by keeping nettent attached 95% of the time. Good luck with it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you're on a non level surface it can be worse – like one corner is higher than eveyrthing else.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Brad, for me the easiest was to simply peg each corner to the ground in a perfect rectangle. Then unzip, enter, and set up the pole. Close to a perfect pitch every time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At home I staked out my DuoMid and used a tape measure to make sure the distance to each diagonal corner was the same.
    I then cut a length of braided fishing line to be the length of the diagonal and attached it to one corner.
    In the field I use this line to make sure my DuoMid is a perfect rectangle.
    As a side benefit I can use the line for emergency repairs.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The DuoMid doesn't follow the contours of the ground very well.

I pin the rear corners directly to the ground and then guy out the front corners a few inches off the ground.

Nice pitch every time and quick.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Thanks so much everyone. Nice and simple. Eager to try this out tomorrow.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

btw David, how do you guy the front corners higher off the ground?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

When you're testing, intentionally guy one front corner one foot higher above the ground to see what it does to the tent pitch, to see what it look like

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools