Topic

Anatomy of a 24: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Anatomy of a 24: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

My favorite type of adventure usually spans at least 5 days and averages 100-150 miles. This type of trip gives me the range to really explore an area and the time to become completely immersed in the process. Not all days are equal though. The first day is a gradual process of letting go of mundane stresses, expectations for the trip, mileage goals, and other thoughts that detract from the experience. By the second day, I am in the zone. Sense of time is lost and there is a heightened appreciation for the little moments like meals, views, or any experience that differs from the process of putting one foot in front of the other. This continues until the final day, when again I am all about goals, specifically to finish the trek and find a local restaurant. At trip’s end, I am usually both drained and elated, and the euphoria often lasts for days.

Unfortunately, there isn't always enough time for this sort of trip. I still need to get in my dirt time though, and this is where the 24 (or overnighter) comes into play. The problem with the 24 is that there is only the first day and the last day. Lost is that crucial middle part so vital for recharging my spirit. Additionally, it is hard to get the same sense of accomplishment because mileage and consequently ability to explore tends to be significantly more modest. If not well planned, the 24 can be a letdown.

I have two strategies for avoiding this. One is to take advantage of other means of self-propelled travel like biking, packrafting, or trail running to get out into the wilderness farther and faster. Dialing up the intensity and allowing me to see the wilderness in different ways enhances my sense of adventure and accomplishment. The second strategy is to focus on a goal other than hiking, like fishing or foraging. Here, participating in an activity with successes that are measured in ways other than mileage allows me to slip into a relaxed state relatively more quickly.

The snow had begun to fall in Michigan and I badly needed a night out. With only a limited time available, I was wracking my mind trying to come up with a suitable challenge. I had initially been thinking about a backcountry ski/packrafting trip but jettisoned this idea once Stephen M and I started talking about a Manistee River trip in the upcoming month. Instead, I decided to go up to Pictured Rocks in hopes of finding some ice to photograph. Ever since last winter’s trip, Pictured Rocks had haunted my dreams.

I woke at 1:30 am to the sound of our puppy asking to go out. Afterwards, as she snuggled back into bed warmly with my wife, I headed out into the cold darkness to begin my journey. The 6 hour car ride lulled me into a reverie that not even the flashing red lights in my rearview mirror could diminish for long. In my eagerness to begin, I had let my speed creep up on one of those long stretches of deserted highway.

skiing
    Skiing out on the snowed in Little Beaver Lake Road. It was easy to make good time in this area, and I soon reached the White Pine Trail which would take me to the lakeshore. A narrow singletrack with many hills and tight turns, this trail greatly challenged my skiing ability.

me
    Still smiling after a series of controlled falls

cave
    Along this trail, I discovered a large cave I hadn’t seen before. It even had a nice sleeping alcove in the back.

shore
    I continued along until I reached Twelve Mile Beach where I was momentarily disappointed not to find any shelf ice. Putting aside my expectations, I was quickly mesmerized by the surreal beauty of the lakeshore

slabs
    Slabs of mud formed by the crashing surf

coves
    Waves batter the frozen shoreline in the Coves section of the trail

roots
    Twisted roots

secluded
    A secluded cove

layers
    Looking out over layers of color

tree
    A precarious perch

My grumbling stomach reminded me that I hadn’t eaten in hours. Thanks to a recent trip with Stephen Mullen, I was deep in the throes of a raging cheese addiction. Suddenly, it wasn’t enough to have a little sausage and cheese. Now I had to have a whole freaking cheese board.

cheese
    Shown here: Chorizo, red dragon, drunken goat, and onion and chive cottswold.

ice
    The cliffs were hung with yellow ice, a product of the same mineral that colored the sandstone

spray falls
    Looking toward Spray Falls. Note the stunted forest of ice frosted trees, hapless victims of the freezing mist from the falls

brush
    Nearing Spray Falls, the trail became nearly impassable. Along the cliffs, I had struggled with the constant entanglement of my skis in the dense growth that choked the trail. Now I had to literally crawl through this ice maze, dragging my pack and skis and cursing cheerfully

brush on cliff
    I won’t comment on where I was standing to get this shot

stunted
    At the top of Spray Falls looking out

chapel
    My favorite tree

creek
    A frozen Chapel Creek flowing into Lake Superior

chapel beach
    Chapel Rock battered by the waves

looking
    Looking toward Grand Portal Point as daylight fades into dusk

GPP
    Grand Portal Point

dusk
    Cliffs at dusk

sky
    An angry sky

As darkness fell, I continued on towards my chosen campsite at Mosquito Beach. Not wanting to waste time with shelter, I tossed down my bivy on a thinning patch of snow and got to work cooking dinner, my favorite pasta with chicken in a San Marzano tomato sauce. I snuggled into my downy quilt as I ate, content with the way the day had gone. I was asleep by 7 pm.

bivy
    I woke in the darkness, firing up my stove from the comfortable warmth of my quilt to brew some coffee. I was on my way by first light, skiing the trail from Mosquito Beach back towards Chapel Lake Road. The trail was wide and easy to navigate, making for some of the most enjoyable skiing of the trip.

ski

Arriving at the snowed in trailhead, I skied the 5 miles up Chapel Road and another 5 along H58 back to my car. This section was no fun (rutted, rocky, uphill all the way), but I looked at it as due payment for the trip. Arms raised in victory as I caught first glimpse of my car, I headed out in search of breakfast.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Fabolous trip report as always Ike, I am glad you caught the cheese lust :-)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Ike,

I have run out of words for your trip reports! Thank you, thank you.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like Ike!

Especially like the photos of chapel rock and yellow ice. Super lighting, color saturation, and composition.

Hoot

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Really enjoyed this. Thank you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

You're becoming one of my solo trip heroes.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Ike, awesome photos and from the sound of it, quite an awesome trip too! Jealous.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Great shots Ike. What a neat setting. The almost tropical blue of the water belies the fact it's probably just above freezing!

Thanks for sharing. You're a steady stream of high quality trip reports!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Just beautiful!

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

Ike,
    This is a beautifully written and photographed trip report. You are definitely inspiring me to get out and enjoy the winter.

If I may get off the trip report for a bit, I am interested in adding skiing to my outings so I'm interested in what gear you're using. I don't plan to get into serious vertical stuff, just some nice rolling terrain where skiis will be faster than showshoes and increase the fun on gentle descents. From the little I know, it seems like Nordic Backcountry gear (metal edges) will fit the bill. Is this what you use? What skiis, bindings, boots and poles specifically? Would you make any changes to what you have? Thanks, again a nice writeup.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent trip report, Ike. A very well planned and executed quickie that extracted the max out of a very short time span. It also took me back to a long ago time when I was a kid growing up in that neck of the woods. Classic Northern Michigan at its best. As for the pictures, all I can say is WOW, you are a master! Thanks for sharing.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Excellent trips and food for thought. What were the lows?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thank you all for the really nice comments. A number of you were truly inspirational in my move towards a greater interest in photography and composition.

Clint- As a novice skier, I'm probably not the best one to comment on ski gear. I have a very basic NNN-BC setup. (Alpina BC5 boots, Rottefella NNN-BC magnum bindings, Alpina Red Tail (Discovery) waxless skis, cheap aluminum poles). The skis are an inexpensive, do-all ski for the midwest- just narrow enough at 68 mm to squeeze into groomed tracks, wide enough for floatation in the backcountry, short enough (170) to facilitate turning, and cheap enough that I don't get too upset about the number of dings I put in them. Would I do anything different? A beefier boot for more technical terrain or downhills, but my light boots do pretty well with most of the stuff here. The only useful advice I can really give is to get something and get out there.

HK- the midwest has been unseasonably warm this winter. Lows were around 22F.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Loved this tremendously Ike. You've progressed your outings quite a bit over the years, it motivates me to think outside the box more. I should ask myself, "What would Ike do?"

Photography on trips can be a hassle sometimes, figuring out how to integrate it into the moment isnt always a natural process. Improving your craft is important and adds to the quality. It may be more enjoyable for us as a witness to your experience through your photographs and words, than it was for you to put the work into posting. I can empathize with you regarding the time that goes into these.

Thanks for sharing your trip here and improving the value of this site.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ike,

Stunning photos….love the shots of the sea shore with the ice and the lone tree on a pilar of sandstone.

Amazing contrast of elements there.

Appreciate your taking the time to write up a great trip report with great photos to take us along your journey.

-Tony

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Amazing pictures. Looks like it was a great trip. I am with you on the cheese!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Fantastic photos and writeup!

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Great pictures and write up Ike. This is definitely pushing me toward a winter trip.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ike, awesome again. We were gonna go right after Christmas, but a case of bronchitis kept us home. I recognize that little cave you're by. I crawled inside it when I was there, and found a cave painting. I like to imagine that it is countless years old and authentic, but I'm not holding out any hopes. Looks cool though! Maybe a deer, elk, or moose?
    cdghj

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

What kind of camera did you use?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Loved the secluded cove and "the tree"!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Excellent. Really beautiful.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools