Topic

My UL List for this past summer in the Rahwah’s and Zirkle Wilderness area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My UL List for this past summer in the Rahwah’s and Zirkle Wilderness area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I just wanted to share my UL list that I used this past summer for 4 trips into the Rahwah's and the Zirkle Wilderness area of Northern Colorado. I've posted some of this list before but it has gone through a few changes over time. Water was readily available on all my routes so I chose to just bring along one water bottle. I can honestly say that I didn't need anything else. If I got cold while sitting around watching the stars I just wrapped my quilt around me under my Dri-Ducks. (Just like the picture of Glen Van-Peski.) This was my first season using the Hexamid. I thought it was fantastic but I did send it in a couple of months ago to have a beak installed. A couple of rain and hail storms had me wanting a bit more protection but only a "bit" more. I like the challenge of going light. Going light also allows me to spend more time in the mountains and to places that I normally wouldn't. There maybe a few items that I could get that would lower my overall weight for example I would love to get some GG LT4 poles. But right now I'm fine. Thanks to Ray Jardine and the BPL Community for all the help, advice, and shared knowledge. I sure feel a lot more freedom when I'm out in God's good creation–especially the mountains! Backpacking light is the way to go.

Clothing Worn:
    Pants Golite Yunnan 11.00 

Belt 1.9
    Long Sleeve Shirt–REI Sahara 8.2
    Underwear 2.7
    Socks Injini .9

Running Shoes—New Balance Sz. 13 20.0

Hat REI Safari 3.7

Poles Komperdell C-3 14.4

Eyeglasses/Sunglasses 1.2

Eyeglass strap–Hides .4
    Watch–Compass on watch 1.4
    Worn around neck:
    Whistle .1
    Knife—Derma Safe Razor .2
    Flashlight—Photon Freedom .2
    Total 66.3 ozs.

Packing:
    Pack—Gossamer Gear Whisper 4.1
    Oven Bag .5
    Food Stuff Sack 1.0
    5.6 ozs

Shelter:
    Tarp—Zpacks Hexamid 3.2
    Ground Cloth-Polycryo 1.5
    Stakes (8) 1.7
    6.4 ozs

Sleeping:

Quilt—Golite Ultra 20 (Long) 20.5

Sleeping Pad—GG Nightlight 2.4
    Pillow Kooka Bay 1.3
    Mosquito Headnet–Peter’s Headnets .5
    24.7 ozs.

Other Clothing:
    Rain Gear–Dri Ducks jacket 6.4
    Extra Socks 1.4
    Gloves–Smartwool 1.5
    Wool Beanie 1.7
    11 ozs

Cooking:
    MLD 475 ml 1.3
    Lid Ruta Locura Carbon Fiber .2
    Gram Cracker Stand and Base .2
    Zia Ti Stand .5
    Suluk Windscreen .4
    Cozy .2

Spoon lexan .3
    Book of matches .1
    3.2 ozs.

Miscellaneous:

Mini Bic .4
    Water bottle 1 liter .7
    Water purification—Aquamira .6

Bear hanging kit rope/carabiner 1.6
    First Aid Kit 1.3
    Toothbrush .1
    Toilet Paper .3
    Sunscreen/Lip balm Dermatone .5
    Insect repellant Picaridin .5
    Dr. Bronners Soap .2
    Map 1.5
    7.7 ozs.

58.6 ozs./ 3 lbs 10.56 ozs. Total Base Weight Carried

Consumables:
    Fuel-Esbit Tabs, Food, Water

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

A couple of rain and hail storms had me wanting a bit more protection but only a "bit" more

Looking at your list, how do you feel about an additional base-layer shirt to your mix? Looking at a repeat of the Weminuche or maybe a little further into the Big Blue, but remember being hit July 3, 2004 with a snowstorm hiking back towards Silverton just south of the CDT/CT intersection. Nothing bad but was wearing the typical 3-layer system (base layer/R3/Marmot Oracle early "aughts" versions), so the driving snow just kind of bounced off … thinking about something lighter like an REI Sahara in place of the R3/pullover in place of Oracle but then I remember that snowstorm.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

HK, My comment about wanting a bit more protection was in regard to the Hexamid. I think the beak that I just had added will be helpful for some rain and hail storms. But with that said I really like nylon/polyester long sleeve shirts. They take permetherin very well. They are extremely versatile-cool enough for the heat. Roll down the sleeves and put up the collar to prevent sunburn. And do the same when it gets chilly.

But I know the Weminuche fairly well–I grew up in Durango and hiked that wilderness area frequently. That is much higher than the Rahwahs or Zerkels. On my trips this past summer I could lose elevation fairly quickly if needed and get into some protected areas. In the Weminuche you are up there and it takes awhile to find your way down. So, I would want more insulation and protection. I've been caught in some tremendous storms around La Ventana, Ute Lakes, etc. But the good thing about getting through a storm is that you have some stories to tell and you keep your eye on the skies a bit more keen.

With your question to me about the shirt; are thinking about pairing a good base layer shirt with something like the REI Sahara? Even a long sleeve base layer shirt? I think that combination would be fine. Did you take some puffy insulation, like a down vest or jacket with you on your trip in '04?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I packed a Feathered Friends Hyperion down vest iirc for camp. We (my girlfriend and I) were hiking late into dinnertime trying to find a level camp with water after dodging weather all day, looking at views. Highly variable weather systems as we would watch from a sunny ridge as a storm climbed the valleys towards us.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools