Topic

Solo Death Valley Trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Chase Norton

@micronorton

Recently, with years of help from this community I completed a thru hike of the Koolau Mountain Range on Oahu becoming the first person in the world to do so. Full write up and report can be found here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72060&skip_to_post=614403#614403

We are now turning our sights to Death Valley and hope to create a short film of a solo unaided 10 day winter trek across 228 miles exposing the many faces of this region few see. We've put this up on Kickstarter and have reached 88% of our goal so far with 7 days left. This trek will of course be executed following the ul mindset and philosophy:

http://kck.st/SKJP6Z

Safe Trails,

Chase

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice way to fund a vacation.

This use of Kickstarter has me a bit confused.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

It is much more about the short film that will be created from this trek than just a "vacation". I am the one who will be crossing the 228 miles but we have a team behind the film and is what takes up the majority of the budget. If you look through the site more carefully you will notice we detailed all of this out. My "vacation" portion only would cost me $800 of the $6,500.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I read it.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

I appreciate you taking the time to look through our project Ken! We are really stoked on it and with just a month til the trek and filming begins final preparations and training are being done. This Kickstarter project is similar to many which ask of support to fund a film/book about an adventure/trek and the region it is occurring in.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Chase Norton

@micronorton

John,

It saddens me to read these kind of comments. Kickstarter is hardly begging for money and much more of a mutual exchange between creator(s) and their audience. The reward system Kickstarter setup allows for one to be an integral part of the process while also working to ensure they receive something equal if not more than the amount pledged. People do not just provide donations and this is far from the days of telethons where $400 gets you a tote bag. Read in to it a bit more if you would like and I'd imagine you could find projects that interest you and need your help to make them a reality. One that I find very interesting besides my own is a solo winter Denali attempt that will turn into a book:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oneworldendeavors/cold-love?ref=users

I pledged $10 to it because the idea of getting a postcard from the base crew in Alaska sounds interesting and I like this man's message/project and wish to support it.

It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon. Because they understand and believe in this type of crowd source funding.

Hope this clarifies and, if not, at least I tried,

Chase

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon"

bad example…

@John
    . deleted? sigh.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

"It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon. Because they understand and believe in this type of crowd source funding. "

I would like to think they are putting up a Kickstarter project because they believe in that type of crowd source funding. I would also like to think that Ryan does not believe he and BPL are doing the modern day equivalent of "begging" for money. I do not see how this is a bad example as you put it, but if you wish to explain further then I would listen. Thank you for your opinions Ken

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

One of my responses was the same as Ken's: ("Nice way to fund a vacation."), but I see more to it than that. There's the film-making, the potential of a wider audience seeing that terrain and maybe feeling more invested in protecting our wild areas even if they'd never travel through them.

And as far as begging for money goes, why not? As long as the project is fairly and honestly described, sure, ask. No is putting a gun to anyone's head. There are other people's adventures that I'd be willing to support. Jill Fredston ("Rowing to Latitude") does truly expeditionary stuff, self-supported for 3 months at a time (with her partner) in very spectacular and remote places. I enjoy knowing people do that sort of thing and it causes me to dream bigger and consider more ambitious trips myself.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm with David, and I don't get the Kickstarter hate. I've helped fund two projects (Devin and the LuminAid) and I've been pleased with both, and happy to have contributed. Chase, I wish you success with your project and good luck with the hike.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

Thank you David and Douglas! A lot of time and effort has gone into this and I appreciate your words of encouragement. I look forward to sharing the experience after the fact with our community here.

Chase

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

People have been able to self produce stunning self supported trips. I don't see the need to spend so much to produce a self indulgent project.

I like this film http://vimeo.com/31158028

When I think of Kickstarter projects I think of something that betters technology and brings to market some durable good that might not otherwise get produced. Like the BCB, Lumenaid, etc…

Death Valley is already protected by the government and nature.

Anyway, I can choose to support what I choose. And so can everyone else. Differences of view keeps the whole thing interesting.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'll invest some money, but I want some of the proceeds from the revenue generated from the sale of the film. Think of it as mezzanine debt.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

"some" is just vague enough to work with. You got it!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have my reasons for disliking the crowd-funding concept. It is a philosophical issue for me, and I have a half-written blog post on my computer on the subject. For some many people, Kickstarter is a patron-centric chance to support so called "artists." Other folks have other motivations to fund different kinds of projects.

Actually I hate the concept.

Given this, it is none of my business if the OP wants to fund this hike via Kickstarter, whatever his motivation. Go ahead with your plans. And if enough people give you money to fund the project, then deliver a quality product.

Good luck.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

Clear. To the point. I respect what you say and appreciate your words. A quality product is indeed the vision. Thank you

sean neves
    Spectator

@seanneves

Locale: City of Salt

I really don't post that much. In general I enjoy this forum and the information that can be gleaned from the many knowlegable people who post here. That being said, I find many of the comments on this post to be mean-spirited and incredibly close-minded. Good luck, Chase. Attitudes like this keep me from posting much. A lot of know-it-all certainty, and a good, strong dose of snootyness make this forum hard to read sometimes.

Outdoor persuits are an intensely personal endeavor. There is absolutely no right way to do things. Go, raise some cash and make a ripping flick!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I'm not really sure why this thread was even created, except for the fact that there are kick starter donation links ITT.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Chase,

This sounds like quite an adventure! My first thought is that I would rather see a film on this topic than 90% of the garbage on TV. I'll kick in but it would be nice if the video download was priced more competitively with what someone would pay to see a movie.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

There have been some noteable Kickstarter boondoggles in the last year concerning very similar projects, so folks are at least fractionally entitled to their cynicism.

That said, I applaud you Chase on the full and plausible CV and proposal. You have relevant experience, a photographer with credentials, and a route which is ambitious but realistic. These are the things people should look for.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Kickstarter is a good way to help cover the costs of the helicopter flyover shots, multiple camera angles, the hired actors and actresses, the fuel for the generators that go with the fancy lighting and cinema effects, the equipment rentals,…

I am kidding of course, but compare the National Geogrphic movies with the low budget outdoor movies and there is a big difference.

It can make the video better if there are some extra bucks to cover some expences and some of us take pride in contributing to a goal that makes these kind of videos accessable to the mainstream.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Chase,

I've sent a couple PMs without a response (albeit one was today).

In case it's going to your spam box..

Hi Chase,

I sent you a PM about a month ago regarding your Kickstarter project for the Death Valley trek and have not received a response. I'm interested to know where you are with this project and if the video download is available yet.

Happy Trails,

Ian

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ian,

What's the hurry? The video was supposed to be done in April 2003, that was only 4 months ago. I noticed my "interesting" post at the beginning of this thread too ;)

Edit: opps, only 3 months ago… That's even better. Not even a record delay. BTW, I noticed there hasn't been any activity on the OP's website in a long, long time. Maybe he is still in Death Valley.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Are Nick and I right again? except for that April 2003 remark. We all know Nick means 2013.

Geez. Dude has had the money for 6+ months and not a peep. Very classy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools