Topic

What haven’t you replaced?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What haven’t you replaced?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Since my normal kit in 1972 had a base weight under 20lbs (and I still have it), it would be considered lightweight. But it is not my normal hiking gear.

I still have clothes from the 80's that I still wear. But I will disqualify them, because I tend to buy 2-6 of items I really like. Marketing MORONS tend to discontinue really good gear.

The following I still use on almost every trip:

In the early to mid 80's I bought a Swiss Army Classic that I still use.

In the 80's I bought a Track's hiking staff. I retired it in 2009, in favor of trekking poles. They trekking pole experiment failed, and last year the staff came out of retirement.

I still use the Cammenga military lensactic compass I bought in the early 90's. This replaced a 20+ year old model. Seems there was a recall due to radiation leaks. Plus the tritium was on its 2nd or 3rd half-life.

Lots of ther gear I still use ocassionally. But those have been talked about in past threads.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

1. MLD Soul Side Zip eVent Bivy 2008-2009 Model…should last me a lifetime

2. Sunday Afternoon Hat (12 yrs old)

3. Sawyer Inline Filter (5 yrs and still going strong, might upgrade to Squeeze Model)

4. MSR Titan Kettle

5. GoLite Jam2 2008 Model…would be nice to replace with MLD Exodus

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I still have a lot of "old" gear like:

1. Dana Designs Terraplane (now for winter campoing).
    2. Svea 125 stove (works fine)
    3. Sigg Tourist cookset
    4. 1972 synthetic mummy bag
    5. MSR Dragonfly stove
    6. '80s Eureka 3 P dome tent

But I have new gear to "substitute" for all of that – natch.

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

I hope you aren't using the same DEET bottle from 2004 Ben! That stuff surely can't be good after all this time ;)

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

Old deet . . . I think I'm still using some old Muculin brand 100% deet from a bottle left over from before I was married . . . 1990. Obviously, I'm not a big deet user, but it certainly still works and still stinks pretty much the same.

I still use an old pair of polypropoline liner gloves that are from the 1980's that won't wear out.

An old 1 liter aluminum pot from 1978

I've got bits of line & cordage I still use from the 80's at least.

Now, my wife and kids use lots of my old gear, sleeping pads, backpacks, polypro underwear, sleeping bags, etc.

George Maung
    Spectator

@georgemaung

Locale: BayArea

I still have my sun hut and my beat up fleece gloves for over 15 years.

It is amazing how these things last a long time.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I still have most of my original gear but everything has been replaced multiple times

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Well, although I have items of older gear that still get used occasionally, such as the Bibler tent, XGK stove, Raichle boat anchor/boots, original Nike Lava Domes, Sierra Cup, Wilderness Experience fleece hat and REI mountaineering hat(s), ice axes and some of the gear these items replaced… most have been pulled from regular duty and replaced with newer, lighter, better stuff.

However, the 1980 Kelty Tioga XL, Opinel #8 and Silva Huntsman compass remain in current duty with no sign of replacement likely. All three are in that photo to the left (2 inside the other).

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

MSR Titan kettle
    Sweetwater filter

Just retired this year – Thermarest ProLite, Primus canister stove, Canon Powershot A710 point-and-shoot camera

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I am still working through the remnants of a bottle of Dr. Bonners Peppermint soap purchased in 1991. You would think it wouldn't work, but the stuff still smells and soaps up like it was new. I generally only use a drop or two of it for washing my pot each day, so my burn rate on it is glacial.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Well a lot of the stuff from the 70's is still floating around but only one item has been used on every trip since at least 1972, a very lightweight, large bowl aluminum spoon.

Still using my original poles from '02, Black Diamond Advance, indestructable.

Also still using an early Optimus Crux from '04.

On my second pair of REI Sahara pants the first one still around from '98

The 70's Camp 7 sleeping bags are still loaned out to others and the early Thermarest Ultralite pads from the 80's and 90's are still around for loaning too.

Retired my SIGG aluminum pots with the locking bail handle a year or two ago for an AGG aluminum pot. Felt like a traitor.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Felt like a traitor."

So true. Funny how attached we can get to pots and pans of all things.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools