Topic

The sweatiest part of the human body

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique The sweatiest part of the human body

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/11/16452839-this-is-the-sweatiest-part-of-your-body?lite

Aside from any humor found in this, I was thinking that this info might have some bearing on clothing selection and, especially, pack selection. I think we all instinctive know this, especially in hot climates. I use an Exodus that rests directly against my back (usually wearing a 150-wt wool baselayer). My shirt stays wet while the pack is on. Maybe we should all be wearing an Osprey-style pack with stays that keep the pack away from the body.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If I'm carrying a pack, yeah, it's the the middle or lower part of my back that gets and stays the sweatiest.

Without a pack, I believe the region is now called the "taint" =the perineum, the region of the human anatomy between the genitals and the anus as in "taint an asshole and taint a pussy." (from Urban Dictionary).

Wicking fabrics help you stay dry in both regions. Polypro, nylon, etc. On my back, that works really well. But on my taint, cotton consistently is less funky than synthetics. YMMV.

Above about 25 pounds, this is a big reason why I use a framed pack. I hike so much cooler, that it is worth the 2-pound extra weight compared to an internal-frame pack.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"But on my taint,"

????? ;0)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Dave, have you tried using wool underwear? My wool underwear keeps my private area very happy.

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

How about those Mountain Hardwear hiking kilts. I'd imagine they would breath quite nicely! ;)

I don't think it is an accident that guys in the hottest parts of the world traditionally wear things that look like dresses.

I wonder why we don't see more western women wearing hiking skirts or dresses? Hmmm.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

YouTube video

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Justin,

I suspect that Smartwool and some of the other vendors of Merlino wool garments would work well as undies – certainly more functional than cotton and not scratchy like old-fashioned wool. But I've got a mild wool allergy to the point where I don't wear wool socks around town, so they are more of an option on hiking days. Itchy feet are annoying but itchy privates, I suspect, are worse.

When I've got access to laundry options (that could be a business trip with a hotel sink, a road trip in a rental car, or a BPing trip in a dry climate), I'll go for wicking UW with two pair in rotation – I'm wearing one while the washed one is drying out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

As a desert hiker, suspended panels aren't going to make that much difference. I have external packs, a Dueter, and a REI Venturi. The last two involve other trade-offs. Get a pack that carries well and just live with a sweaty back. Hike a lot and you'll get used to and eventually not notice or think about it.

Regarding the taint… Wear Patagonia Baggies with the mesh liner cut out. 5" inch inseams.

For the science behind the shorts, research Fletcher's 3rd Law of Thermodynamics.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools