Topic

trekking poles 2 in 1 question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear trekking poles 2 in 1 question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

Locale: midwest

hello…..
    my idea is to take two titanium lacrosse shafts and cut to size for walking sticks…
    with the thought in mind of being ableto pack two small lacrosse heads, two screws, and a ball for some recreational activity on any zero day and such on my AT thru hike……
    switch out the handles with screws
    i have never attempted a project like this and wouldnt know where to begin..
    any one out hear savy enough to figure out a good strategy and resource for handles and ground pegs
    it will be this or a soccer ball and hand pump..i dont mind this extra weight…
    so lets here what you think about the idea…..
    thanks to all for reading this far
    jch

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

You can buy replacment tips and grips, with straps, from Komperdell (Google will find them). A lot of people have made handles from EVA foam and the like but I have yet to see a homemade handle that actually has a strap attached to the top of the pole such that it can be used to support your weight as you use the pole. When you get close send pics of your project. I would be interested in giving it a shot.

To attach the handle to the shaft I suggest using epoxy. I have done this and it works well. I can send photos if you want to see my project (I used CF shafts).

Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

i was thinking the straps could go through the screw hole at the top…….
    and the handles would have to sit down the depth of the hole for the shaft…….estimating an inch to inch and a half…..
    could you tell me how long you think they should be for a six foot 3/4 inch 185 pound hiker……
    i think these things would be very sturdy….
    i will head your advice and keep you posted…
    and i welcome more comments

jch

Jeffrey Hartman

@jeffhartman1019

and maybe the grips could go at the "butt" end of the lacrosse shaft….
    and the tips change out with the lacrosse heads……do you think that would be hard to piece together and be tight and sturdy??
    so the grips can be right at the top of the poles….and at the bottm when tossing…no big deal????????
    i will email you pics….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools