Topic

Yosemite Falls 1-4-2013 video trip report

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yosemite Falls 1-4-2013 video trip report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Here ya go:
    http://youtu.be/WldJC20woLk

I froze my butt off. It was awesome :)

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Looks beautiful, as I write from my heated office, with the snow. Falling ice seemed a bit scary and I kept telling myself, "he uploaded the video so he'll make it." But, I was worried. Thanks for sharing!
    -James

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Yes it was even more beautiful in real life :). This was my first time seeing Yosemite in the winter and it looks like a painting. So amazing.
    Definitely a little sketchy with all the falling ice though. I think it was just especially bad that weekend, because this weekend I was there again and didn't hear too many big ice crashes.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Thanks for posting that. After watching the ascent, I was thinking, "I'd like to hike that sometime in winter as well" but then you started talking about falling ice. Hmmm… on second thought…thanks again for posting the video.

Mike

George Maung
    Spectator

@georgemaung

Locale: BayArea

Looks good.

Where did you camp in the Valley? Was there a lot of people?

Thanks for sharing.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Heya,
    I actually camped on top of the falls.
    There was not many people in the valley, and zero people on top of the falls. I was cutting my own trail through the snow on top, so no one had been there in a while. It's a great time of year to visit to avoid crowds and mosquitos. The roads are plowed, but they were requiring snow chains for all non-4wd vehicles. That changes daily though.

I suppose you could camp at "camp 4" (bus stop 7) and then day hike up. There was zero people there last I saw, and it and gives you easy access to the falls trail. Traction is a must, and snowshoes make life easier if you get all the way to the top. The video probably makes this clear, but definitely be prepared for cold and falling ice.

Here was my layering system that I was still cold in:
    Top:
    Arcteryx phase SV
    Patagonia R1 hoody
    MH monkey man jacket
    Montbell Alpine light
    Arcteryx alpha SL

Bottom:
    Phase SV
    Northface Fleece pants
    Arcteryx gamma lt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools