Topic

What’s Your Favorite Piece of Gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s Your Favorite Piece of Gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

#1. McHale LBP 36. Hands down.

#2. McHale Bump. When not using #1.

#3. Patagonia Houdini. Goes on every backpacking trip, every day hike, on business trips, on camping trips, and around town.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For the "Big 3", the shelter category is the one I can't seem to settle on. But . . .

1. Pack: I've had my MLD Exodus since 2010. A simple, durable dyneema pack. (I also have a Burn, but often choose the Exodus so everything easily and cleanly goes inside).

2. Quilt: Nunatak Arc Alpinist. Green quantum, a little overstuffed.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

My ULA CDT pack, Zpacks 30deg quilt and Roclite 295's. Can't imagine hiking without them.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

My ruck.

It's made of portly but bombproof Cordura, has no external pockets or bells and whistles for a clean aesthetic, simple but functional lid, nice cushy shoulder straps, and a removable hipbelt design that accepts my ULA Ohm 2.0 hipbelt for backpacking use.

The design is similar to the Topo Designs Klettersack, but more versatile w/ the removable hipbelt and larger volume for backpacking trips. It's more trail friendly than the urban/boutique focused Klettersack. I use it almost daily for carrying my regular junk around (shoes, running stuff, food, work clothes, mtb gear, kiddos stuff, etc)

As far as mass produced gear anyone and their grandma can get their hands on?

Patagonia Nanopuff Hoody, emphasis on "HOODY".

I wear this more than any other jacket. It's not as light as a comparably warm down piece, but it works really well and provides me a margin of error that you just can't get with a gossamer 7d premium fill down parka. It's not the best piece for every situation, but more often than not, it provides what I need.

"60% of the time, it works every time."

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Favourite…

See — you aren't UL. Unnecessary vowels in use. Nix the "u" and save some weight.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"See — you aren't UL. Unnecessary vowels in use. Nix the "u" and save some weight."

Well played, Nick. Well played.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I love all my cottage gear items, but my favorite item is my Vivobarefoot Breatho trail shoes. My feet turn into happy children in them, as if they had a mind of their own and want to just skip on the trail without even asking my permission. Yes, they have crappy laces, lugs that tear off and are generally not so durable (after a little over 100 trail miles they are already looking worn). But you gotta like having happy feet. Looking forward to seeing if the Inov8 TrailRoc 235s achieve the same.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Maybe it makes me wistful to think about the warm summer months while staring at a snow-covered world, but the word favorite conjured my love of my warm weather set up, anchored by these three items:

MLD Mini cuben tarp. 4-5 oz. of protective bliss.

Neoair Xlite. Light and lovely.

Nunatak Arc Edge. A brilliant piece of warmth for a minimal amount of weight.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Salomon Skin 12 Pack

SteriPen Freedom

MLD Event/Cuben Bivy

Runner up = Lifeproof iPhone 5 case

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Max: On long trips the alcohol stove boils water in the morning (got the cold-weather use figured out), with the Vargo as windscreen/potholder. The Vargo alone usually comes out in the evening. It beats the alcohol stove for real cooking, it saves on alcohol, and also provides entertainment and comfort, with no fire-ring required and no trace left behind. With good technique and the right fuel, it's possible to burn everything to fine ash. I pick up pinecones and whatnot during the hike to minimize my impact even more. (I should have added the ounce or two for the 8" aluminum plate I use as a snow base/cinder catcher underneath it.) And it's nice to have the option, on a winter day hike, to have a little fire and a hot lunch. And coffee. Edit to add: the alcohol stove is a Trangia. Also, resist the urge to 'shelter' the fire in the Vargo, a lot of the airflow depends on having the door open into the breeze.

Nick G: We may have those U's, but if you've ever heard a Newfoundlander talk, you'll know we make up for it by dropping our H's. As in, " 'Ave ya 'eard dat?" Energy saved is weight saved. :)

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

My Zimmer Exposure …Perfection!

Also like my Carbon Fiber Ruta Locura Stakes and good ol Golite Reed rainpants.

Ibex hoodie – Micropuff and Houdini are essentials : )

Zimmer

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

This is more a philosophical statement than a choice of favorite piece of gear.

My favorite piece of gear is a pack on my back!

It usually means I'm out hiking or walking somewhere and my mind is at peace and my feet are in gear. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My mistake was asking everyone to pick one. I couldn't even do it!

You crazy hikers. ;)

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

I have two…

1) SMD Trekker tent. Love the weight , size, and ease of use

2) Marmot DriClime. Best layer I own, perfect for many different weather types.

Jason

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Max, asking BPL'ers to choose their one favorite piece of gear is like asking what their favorite child is.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I'm the oldest of four brothers. We all know the youngest is the favorite.

Emil Gazda

@emilio

Locale: Southeast

1. Go-Lite Shangri-La 3 yellow rainfly
    2. Granite Gear Crown 60
    3. Go-Lite Down Quilt

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Custom pack(s). With a long torso, fit from a store-bought pack has always been iffy but no more.

RA Amundsen

@grimner

1) The Pocket Stove
    So small, so light and bright. Slight intellectual challenge at the end of the day as well.
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/the-pocket-stove

2) SMD Skyline Trekker
    Used for a week in gusting winds late last year, quickly fallen in love with it and eagerly awaiting spring.

3) The light idea – walking without blisters, aching back and bleeding feet? What a radical consept!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

A lot of people are mentioning Patagonia. They're a personal favorite too- I love my Super Cell jacket.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

WM Megalite bag. Had it for 8+ years, still love it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hennessey Hammock 13 years of blissful backcountry sleeping. The Neoair has made ground sleeping almost as good though.

Snow Peak Gigapower canister stove. 12 years and not a single issue. Granted not a ton of usage, but still.

ULA Ohm v1.0 Brian got it right for me with this first version. I especially like the hipbelt pocket free tiny padded hip belt. And those awesome side pockets. Nice simple drawstring closure. A no BS pack.

Also have been enjoying my Fusion cone from Trail Designs for my 750ml Pasta Pot from Evernew.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Ken, How's your Hennessy holding up? I've spent about 70 days this past year sleeping in mine- I'm interested in the long-term durability of the thing!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Keep things out of your pockets. It never touches the ground when using snakeskins. I sold my first one after 11 years, several hundred nights and it still looked really good. New tree straps and maybe some new hanging cord once in awhile. I see them lasting for quite a while with a little care.

I've tried all the other cord alternatives like whoopies and ucrs, and straps. Tom's lashing method still gives me the greatest variety in the way to hang it.

Plus if you have a bottom entry, you don't have to get out to pee in the middle of the night.
    Watch where you left your pack and tie your shoes to the ridge line!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I do have the bottom entry… but I still get out to pee, haha.

I have a few rules- if I'm drinking whiskey, no hammocking and no camera. There are some things that just don't mix.

If I stick to my rules, I should see the same results. I'm perfectly happy replacing my hammock every decade. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools