Topic

This could’ve been bad…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion This could’ve been bad…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

tree
    On a recent trip with my son…

There was a light breeze at dinnertime, nothing more. No reason to expect 50+MPH gusts that night at around 2AM.
    My son was sleeping on the side the tree fell on. A few feet different and the mass of the trunk would've landed on us.
    The bozo slept right through it. I woke him and we packed up the shelter and moved at 3AM.

Something about taking my son always brings the windstorms.
    His name is Shant. The old Armenian translation varies between lightning, thunderbolt, and lightning fire. Maybe this has something to do with it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Wow. Glad to know that no one was hurt.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Sometimes we get a gentle reminder we're not in charge, sometimes a slap in the face. Good to be alive and uninjured. Glad to hear it worked out.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Glad you and the boy are okay!

Maybe you should change your son's name! Is there an Armenian word that means "peaceful quiet night"? ;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yes, good you're okay!

Since everyone is okay, I wonder:

If the branch fell, maybe you should have just stayed there?

Or looked up at tree to see if it looks like any more branches might fall?

Or maybe a tree that had one branch fall is more likely to have others because it's unhealthy?

Walking around in 50 MPH winds is more dangerous than just staying put?

I have read it's good to look at the ground and see if there are cracks. If a tree is nearing falling, it will sometimes first rock around causing cracks in the ground. Getting hit by a falling tree would be worse. Or examine branches and if there are unhealthy ones, don't camp there.

Always good to examine close-calls to learn lessons about what to avoid in the future.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Craig:

Is that you in your new avatar? Nice to see your cape doing double duty as your shelter! :)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Good thing you were in a Sil shelter. Not only is it waterproof, but it stops falling trees!

Poor fools in Cuben, ahh… ;)

Glad y'all are OK. I have envisioned you waking your son and sayin 'We gotta move- a tree fell on us." And your boy (upon sleeping through it) lookin at you like you're crazy. He was thinking "Dad has lost it… tree fell on us?!?!" He probably thought you were trying to play a joke on him.

…Then you get out and point… "that tree, Son" LOL that is so funny

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yep, that's me Ben. I've been hitting the char siu bao a little hard lately. The ShangriLa 3 is the only thing that fits as a poncho anymore.

Jeff, what you're imagining is almost exactly how it went down.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Glad you two are ok. Sounds like your getting into all kinds of new hobbies, surfing, bushcraft

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Wow…couldn't have had that land any closer. Glad you and your boy came out without a scratch.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

When its windy or raining alot i stay away from trees

All the big branches at the bottom of the pnw rainforest came from somewhere ;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools