Topic

Anyone use the Zpacks “Goose Hood”?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use the Zpacks “Goose Hood”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I've been talking to GooseFeet Gear (makes the hood in question for Zpacks) about making a custom version…one lined with .34 oz cuben. I'd use this hood with a hoodless bag. The cuben would replace the shower cap VBL I normally wear while sleeping.

At any rate, my questions are general…like how you like it, does it seal well, how's the fit, amount of loft, warm for you down in the 20's, what you'd change, etc.

Anyone?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I own this product and it is very well made. I use it for static use under my hard shell with my FUGU and for 3 season quilt sleeping. It has approximately 1/2 the fill of the Down Works hood. I use the DW hood for winter use with my quilt only; it is too voluminous to fit under most hard shell hoods.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

So zpacks has it made by goose feet?

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

Well, that's what the zpacks websites says: "This item is sewn for ZPacks by Ben Smith at GooseFeet"

michael levi

@m-l

Did'nt know that. Outdoorgearlab.com has a good review of the hood though.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Richard. Any idea on the amount of loft the Zpacks hood has?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Rusty,

The double layer loft & weight of my Goose Hood averages 3 1/4" & 38g versus 4 1/2" and 80g for my Down Works Standard hood. The Goose Hood is what I use the majority of the time because it is adequate down to 20F with my quilt; it works great to adapt a down jacket to parka-like protection; and it is very light weight. Below 20F, my Down Works standard hood is my preference because it is much warmer.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Richard.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

I too own the zPacks GooseHood and concur with everything Richard said above.

It has small grosgrain loops at the bottom of the front and that back that allow some shock cord to be looped under the arms for a super strong seal. I've used it with a TNF Diez half-zip, Mountain Hardwear Nitro, and Patagonia down sweater vest. I have no complaints about the integration of hood and jacket with any of these collars both with and without shockcord.

It was, in fact, my ownership of exclusively hoodless insulated jackets (except for my shell and windshirt) that inspired my purchase after reading about Andrew Skurka and John Abela's strong preference for hooded jackets.

I haven't slept in it below freezing (my sub freezing sleeping bags all have hoods integrated) but it's kept my head warm during some early mornings around Tahoe that registered in the low teens Fahrenheit.

There's a simple cord loop running from the chin around the face that can be cinched, and I've found it provides a good seal, but I don't know how unique that is to my head shape.

The craftsmanship and finish is excellent.

Blah blah blah just buy it, it's awesome.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thank you, Bradley.

michael levi

@m-l

Black inside and black outside in 7d.

I hope the durability is good, pretty excited.

michael levi

@m-l

I'm wondering what temperatures you guys find ideal for the down hood.

One thing I like about mine is that is soft, and doesnt feel too tight like a beanie might.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

10d outer shell and .34 oz cuben inner liner. Should boost the warmth by a fair degree (no pun). Weighs 1.1 oz. Ordered from GooseFeet.

hood

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools