Topic

StarLyte Burner With Cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals StarLyte Burner With Cap

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

StarLyte Burner only with lid.

Lid fits nice and tight so fuel does not evaporate.

Burner has 1.5 ounce fuel capacity. Holds 1oz. fuel in suspension, will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Great safety factor.

Buy several, fill them at home with caps on and go hiking. No need to carry a fuel bottle.

Total cost is $13.00 and that includes the shipping.

You get 1 burner and 1 lid

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Dustin Judd
    BPL Member

@ddujnitsud

The webpage says you are out of stock. Are you taking back orders and if so how long? I've tried most other alky stoves, but this one I have not.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I sold out the same day I listed them. I'll have a hundred made by Monday. I'll have the paypal buttons up again on Monday. I'll also have some made that will burn better in a caldera cone. The top wil be reduced in diameter.

Dustin Judd
    BPL Member

@ddujnitsud

I am hoping to use mine inside my Emberlit or El mini wood burner. Can you post the dimensions of each please?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

They are 2" in diameter and 1" in height.

Fuel capacity is 1.5 ounces.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Awesome stuff. Nice to see people are picking these up.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Ordered mine last week. Hoping to put it to use on my section hike over spring break.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Hi Dan:

Is the purpose of this model to have spares for a full Starlyte Burner that has the pot stand? So on a trip you'd take one of these fully fueled instead of a fuel bottle and just swap out stoves? If I buy one of these, I would need to fashion some type of pot stand, right?

You have so many neat stoves, but I never know why I should use one instead of another. If you have some spare time I would really appreciate a comparison chart on your website of your different stoves as well as recommendations for picking a stove.

Thanks!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Dan – where can I order the one that works in The Caldera Cone? Thanks Derrick

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I just finished making a batch of 100 StarLyte burners. 50 original and 50 modified to burn in confined space as under the Calder Cone.

I know the modified one worked for me a couple of years ago when I made a cone shaped windscreen to surround a kmart grease pot supported by a StarLyte stove with the burner modified. The windscreen being wider at it's base allowed for less radiant heat to reach the stove. The top portion of the windscreen was held to within 1/8" of the pot. Keep in mind the windscreen does not support the pot as in the Caldera Cone. The windscreen and stove fit nicely inside the grease pot that is capable of holding 4 cups of water. There is a thread over at Whiteblaze that I created to show the set-up and will post it here later.

I have the two different burners now listed at my stove store. I was a little bit disturbed to find that my material costs have risen to a point that I had to increase my prices.

In the photo below the burner on the left has been modified to reduce the rate of burn. The fact that the fuel is held in suspension, in my opinion, makes it perfom in a more stable fashion in an enclosed windsreen.

<center>

</center>

Mark, yes you need to fashion a pot support 2 inches tall. The pot needs to be 1" from the top of the burner. I'll put the comparison chart towards the top of my list of things to do.

Derrik, the new Modified burner will work in the Caldera Cone. It is availble now at:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

These two videos show how the modified burner works with a windscreen

<center>

</center>

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Hi Dan
    I'm not totally clear on why the modified Starlyte is better for using with a cone?
    I'm guessing fuel efficiency?

I have been using my first standard Starlyte for over 2 years only with my MSR Ti kettle and homemade split cone with no perceived issues re boil times with acceptable fuel efficiency. Is the modified version more fuel efficient because it burns slower?

Does this mean boil time is increased at all?

thanks

Mole

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I thouroughly tested the original StarLyte stove with the cone shaped windscreen and the kmart grease pot. I kept windscreen configuration as you see it in the videos. I decreased the surface are of the StarLyte burner in small increments until I achieved the goal of 2 cups boiled with 1/2 ounce of fuel. Those tests were performed under ideal conditions. The pot was made of aluminum which conducts heat most efficiently. With the original Starlyte I was not able to get a boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel. So I was looking for the fuel efficiency. Each time I made a change in the burner I tested it 3 times to make sure if there was a change in fuel efficiency. It takes a very long time to do the testing because of having to wait for the stove, windscreen, pot and test surface(table) to cool off.

Yes, cooking time increases and so does fuel efficiency. "Tony" here on BPL instilled in my mind that slow is good. In the video above I think it took 9 min. to get the boil with the Ramen noodles in the pot.

Mole, Under ideal conditions can you boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of fuel
    using your split cone and Ti Kettle?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

How do you snuff out the flame on the Starlyte Burner in order to save unused fuel?

If the lid is plastic and it's laid on top of the burner to snuff the flame, seems like the lid perhaps might get damaged (melted) with repeated snuffings.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"With the original Starlyte I was not able to get a boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel. It may have boiled with .07 oz. or a little bit more or less."

Dan, that is probably not what you meant to write.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Richard, that is correct, the lid will melt. Get your face close to the burner and give a good "poooof" not a wimpy puff :-)

Bob, you're right. Not what I wanted to say. I deleted the entire sentence. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"How do you snuff out the flame on the Starlyte Burner in order to save unused fuel?"

I use my pot lid (even though it's carbon fiber) and just set it on the stove. The flame goes out in a matter of a second, so the lid doesn't really get warm. Any means of cutting off the oxygen works well – gently set your pot directly on it, use a lid, cover it with a fry pan lid or ti mug (takes a couple seconds) or just give it a good puff.

And yes, do wait a little bit before slapping the plastic lid on there as you can melt it a bit if you toss it on in the first 60 seconds or so.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Thanks for the info about snuffing the burner, Dan Y and Dan D.

Another question: Dany Y, Dan D, (or anyone else), have you tried using a StarLyte Burner (modified, unmodified, or both) in a Clikstand setup (stand w/windscreen)?

Here's a link to a diagram of the Clikstand specs at Clikstand's website:

http://www.clikstand.com/specs_cs2.html

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I have not used a clickstand with the StarLytes. According to the Clickstand sites' specs, the burner should be placed on the shelf that supports the Trangia. The top of the Starlyte should be 1" away from the pot.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Re setting the StarLyte on the Clikstand shelf, two issues seem to arise.

First, the hole in the center of the Clikstand shelf is 3" diameter since it's designed to suspend a Trangia burner, but the Starlyte Burner's diameter is only about 2" (I believe) — although one way to support the StarLyte would be to use the "solid fuel adapter" accessory (see link below at Clikstand's website) that would keep the StarLyte Burner from setting too low.

http://www.clikstand.com/p_accessories.html

The second issue then comes into play — the StarLyte setting on the "solid fuel adapter" would seem to be somewhat less than an inch to the bottom of the pot.

Based on the Clikstand specs, the distance from SkyLyte's burner to the pot's bottom might be as litte as half an inch given the SkyLyte's 1" height and the Clikstand's overall height of about 3".

Don't know exact height from the Clikstand's shelf to the pot's bottom, but it looks about half the overall 3" height of the stand (or 1 1/2"). If that's the case, then the burner-to-pot distance using a StarLyte Burner set on the shelf may be only half-an-inch. Probably too close.

The reason I'm curious about using the StarLyte Burner (modified or unmodified) with the ClikStand is the StarLyte Burner would afford a lighter burner option for use with the Clikstand. The only alcohol burners that the Clikstand appears to be designed to fit well is the Trangia burner and (with an adapter shown at the above link) the Evernew Ti burner.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Based on the Clikstand specs, the distance from SkyLyte's burner to the pot's bottom might be as litte as half an inch given the SkyLyte's 1" height and the Clikstand's overall height of about 3". "

What in the devil is a SkyLyte burner?

–B.G.–

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

"SkyLyte" is my way of misspelling "StarLyte" by mistake.

On the other hand, there really is a "SkyLyte" — a female half-elf ranger, originally from the Filitir Forest:

http://wiki.ardrana.net/index.php?title=SkyLyte

Ain't the internet great!!! But that's a digression . . .

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Dan

In past when tested my Starlyte managed 500ml (2.1 cups) on 20ml (2/3 ounce) with a little burn time to spare.

Your mod sounds a bit more efficient, so look forward to resumption of International orders! ;)

(glitches when attempting to post lead to multiple posts with no info- site or my phone?!)

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools