Topic

Midlayer Technology: Patagonia Capilene 4 v. Mountain Hardwear Desna Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Midlayer Technology: Patagonia Capilene 4 v. Mountain Hardwear Desna Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Just wanted to clear up some confusion about Capiline 4 fabric. Not all Capilene 4 is grid fabric. For example, I have a Capilene 4 Expedition Weight Zip neck garment. It is NOT grid fabric, but rather what Patagonia calls 5.9oz Polartec Power Dry fabric. If you want the grid fabric, you must be sure you are getting what Patagonia calls 3.7oz Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency fabric. Don't assume that all Capilene 4 is grid fabric.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The baseline looks different –more like the R1 powerdry (doesn't have the same voids in the grid). The Rab AL does look like the same PD High Efficiency as the Cap 4.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The evolution of Patagonias "expedition weight" long underwear is worth elaborating.

For a long time it was (essentially) 100 weight fleece.
    In the early 00's it became R 1/2.
    Then R 1/2 was renamed Capilene 4.
    A few years ago Capilene 4 transitioned to Powerstretch fabric.
    This past fall the HE fabric reviewed here was introduced.

It is indeed possible to find last years stuff NOS on sale. Worth asking to avoid confusion.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Read the link.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

The Rab site is vague, read the review i posted and it's the same stuff?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

From Mike's link:
    "Like the AL, it's a versatile top that you either wear as a cold conditions, next-to-skin, heavy duty base layer or as a light, high-wicking mid-layer. Where it's different is in using a slightly heavier, slightly warmer version of the PowerDry fabric…"

Looking at some more pictures, the AL also looks like it has smaller voids in the grid than the Cap 4 (which explains the 6.3 oz for Cap 4 zip neck vs 9 oz for the AL). So Baseline> AL > Cap 4 as far as fabric weights. Like most Polartec products, the HE obviously has more than one variation.

PhilipB
    BPL Member

@pxb

Just looked on Patagonia.com and there's no listing for the men's Cap 4 hoody reviewed here. The women's is being sold off at a bargain $47. The Piton Hybrid is not the High Efficency fabric so it seems Patagonia are clearing the decks a bit, perhaps to introduce a new line or perhaps not.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Many items at Patagonia are seasonal and they just started their winter clearance (and the hoody sold out quick). I am sure the hoody will make a return next fall.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

My R1 pants weigh 8.4, the capilene 4 weigh 5.4.
    But when I hold the cap 4 up to the light there is a lot less material.
    So I'm not sure I like this improvement. I put the R1 on one arm and the Cap 4 on the other arm and the wind just whistles thru the cap 4

capliene 4 held up to a light
    cap 4

old R1 held up to a lightr1

The melanzana tights seem to be closer to the old r1 but weighs 5.6 oz.

mel

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the R1 is a much warmer material- no doubt about that, the cap 4 shines when you're willing to give up some warmth for breathability- the cap 4 is much better when your active

wore mine running this morning as a base layer under a windshirt, temp 19F w/ 15-20mph winds and I was just right- w/ the R1 I would have been overly warm and getting wet

despite looking similar, they are very different imo

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cap 4 reminds me of fishnet— providing pockets of warm air and part of a system rather than a stand-alone garment. Layering systems take a little mind-bending. I think we get stuck on outdated and urban clothing conventions.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"wore mine running this morning as a base layer under a windshirt, temp 19F w/ 15-20mph winds and I was just right- w/ the R1 I would have been overly warm and getting wet"

I've been using the Cap 4 Hoody a lot this winter and have found it to be far more versatile than the R1 Hoody. I've found it to be comfortable in a range from ~45 degrees down to ~30 with winds up to ~15 mph when I'm on the move and working hard; it's tolerable down to the mid 20's with lighter winds and up to ~50 degrees on the high end, especially if there's a decent breeze. In higher winds or lower temps, I go straight to a Rab Boreas windshirt, beginning in the mid to high 30's. Above 50 degrees, it is time to go to a lighter baselayer. The R1 is good on the low end of this range, but does not move moisture nearly as well, and is unusable above ~45 degrees when on the move. All this is IME. YMMV. All in all, the most versatile base layer I've ever used.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Interesting, I'm open to it but I can't use a base layer when hiking I sweat too much and these days I don't run at all, too many injuries. I see other people on the trail in baselayers and jackets and I'm peeled down to a shirt and still sweating.
    I carry my baselayer to use at camp when I'm standing still or in my quilt.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools