Topic

Fuji X100s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Fuji X100s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Well, another year and another appealing camera. The Fuji X100s was just announced, the sequel to 2011's Fuji X100. This time it includes vastly improved autofocus speeds, two forms of improved manual focus, and (most importantly) a brand new 16MP X-Trans sensor with no antialiasing filter.

We'll have to wait and see reviews, but the sensor improvements (particularly the lack of antialiasing filter) could mean this diminutive camera could rival the image quality coming out of the Sony RX1 at a much, much cheaper price.

I've the found the original X100 to be an excellent backpacking camera in practice because the lens doesn't protrude almost at all. In fact, the camera with a half-case fits snugly in my ULA Ohm hip belt pocket.

Comes out the end of March for $1300.

Oh Fool
    BPL Member

@dansol-2

Locale: So. Cal

>…this…camera could rival the image quality coming out of the Sony RX1 at a much, much cheaper price.

Couldn't help yourself could you? Well, considering the latest DxOmark scores that seems very unlikely indeed: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Sony/Cyber-shot-DSC-RX1

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Since the X-Pro1 and XE-1's X-Trans sensors haven't been analysed by DXOMark yet (perhaps because of issues from the differing sensor and RAW formats?), we'll have to wait and see. The X100s is likely the same sensor as the past two cameras, plus PDAF and an improved image processor and have been extraordinarily well received.

Low-pass filters on sensors lower pixel-level sharpness—hopefully we can agree with that. Unfortunately, they've been a reality since the Bayer pattern was invented in 1976 and put into use on camera sensors. A camera sensor either deals with color moiré or adds a low-pass filter, reducing sharpness. Until the Fuji X-Trans sensors, the only way to truly combat this was with big enough sesnsors (full frame). By solving the problem and removing the filter, a smaller sensor can resolve similar detail. We'll have to wait for the testing.

Regardless, this is an awesome backpacking camera. Easier to carry than an RX1, comes with an awesome optical and electronic hybrid viewfinder, has a built in ND filter (excellent for backpacking), and is a minimum of $1500 cheaper than the Sony RX1 (more when you consider getting an electronic viewfinder for it).

I think I'll likely be toting an X100s on the JMT this summer—excellent value proposition, size, and combination of features.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

That split screen focusing looks awesome…plus focus peaking. The manual focus might be the most annoying thing for me on the X100.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

The X100s is now available on Amazon or at least it was briefly until people bought all of them. This camera is extraordinarily well reviewed. In my opinion, it's the ideal backpacking camera.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools