Topic

quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Here's a great video of some kids filming a moose while they're running a quadcopter in norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mupfi21Ys&feature=player_embedded

I suspect this will start to be adopted for backpacking. I could REALLY see this being used.

– scout up ahead of the trail to see what the terrain looks like

– fly around a lake/river/stream to find the best fishing spots.

– record AWESOME video of your trip

– find the best camping spots.

… etc.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Would the no motorized vehicle rules apply? Hope so. I could see them being REALLY annoying.

YouTube video

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I see a future with me taking a few of these out with some rocks if I hear them buzzing around MY wilderness…Rambo

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Folding Wrist Rocket
    50 3/8" ball bearings

Don't care what the extra weight comes to.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Which model can carry the most gear? :)

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

This recently funded project has a twist on the quadricopter concept with a silent robot dragonfly that can be outfitted with a camera package.

Dragonfly

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Great. Lets go harass some wildlife.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That is cool. Hate that spy on people aspect though.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"I suspect this will start to be adopted for backpacking. I could REALLY see this being used."

I couldn't disagree more..

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I totally didn't think of that!

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I don't see it as a "backpacking item", but the cool thing about these is how affordable they've made "helicopter shots" for video production. Imagine a movie…er, video that describes sections of the PCT and includes some sweeping overview shots — and they won't involve a chopper ripping around the back country nor the expense.

These have been used heavily in outdoor action sports in the last year and some. Now with prices and tech making them more available, there are quad-copters under a hundred bucks with low-end, 30fps cameras built in. The cool part is, a 60fps GoPro is enough for really great video and those don't weigh much.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I can't see carrying one of these backpacking, but for mountaineers launching an assault on a large, new mountain route, this would provide some great beta if pictures aren't/weren't available. It would be a great base camp tool. It would definitely remove some of the 'adventure' from the sport, but the same could be said about reading a detailed guide report or listening to the weather report.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

A good example of how they are being used to capture jaw-dropping mountain footage.
    Mammut 150 Trango Tower

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I was on a midnight bike race a few months back, standing in the crowd and waiting for the starting horn. I start to detect a faint buzzing noise, turn, and find a dual rotor jet black police drone hovering about two meters over my head. A little black plastic bubble on the bottom was watching me…
    Of course everyone gave it the finger.
    I know they're discussing arming them with tear gas and rubber bullets for "crowd control".

Lovely.

I can't wait to buy mine and get out into the Anza Borrego backcountry on a trip with Nick Gatel and use it to chase down herds of bighorn for a blog photo, scout ahead for water sources in canyons, and get some exciting HD footage of us walking with really small packs on.

And I'll finally be able to see what the hell my neighbor's been building behind that garage….

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Twelfth

We already have drones here from the Border Patrol. A brave new world.

River runners could scout.

Climbers might need a new phrase to describe their climbs.

Instead of onsight, or redpoint etc. Drone'd?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Agreed, Craig. My kneejerk reaction was distaste shading into repulsion.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"I can't wait to buy mine and get out into the Anza Borrego backcountry on a trip with Nick Gatel and use it to chase down herds of bighorn for a blog photo, scout ahead for water sources in canyons, and get some exciting HD footage of us walking with really small packs on."

Looks like we might need really big packs to carry that thing along with spare batteries. While were at it we could bring some iPhones, iPads, solar panels, steriPens, Sat phone, SPOTS, spare GoPro Hero, heart rate monitors, Suunto multi-function watches, and a solar radio.

:)

I have done many trips where a distant peak looks interesting and I decide to detour, even though there are no trails on my map. I enjoy trying to figure out a safe route and then getting to the top. These are not highly technical climbs, but just a sense of accomplishment and outdoors enjoyment.

But it looks like we are going to be living in a Brave New World soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"But it looks like we are going to be living in a Brave New World soon."

Why do I have this nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach? :(

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them."

Yeah, it's called Facetiming. And yeah, not only Big Brother, but anyone with the basic knowledge of stealing bits and bytes out of the air. Not that hard, actually.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Another reason why my parents named me SAM.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I actually bought one of these to spy on myself, since I can never remember what I'm doing. I inadvertently noticed it spying on me and it really ticked me off. I have some interesting video of me destroying it…..

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If I see one of these things flying over me in a wilderness area and I happen to have a rifle, it's going down.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them."

-Nick Gatel

"Apple Inc.'s iPhone is collecting and storing location information even when location services are turned off, according to a test conducted by The Wall Street Journal."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704123204576283580249161342.html?mod=e2tw

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."

-Eric Schmidt, executive chairman, Google

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."

-Eric Schmidt, executive chairman, Google

The government will make use of these powers only insofar as they are essential for carrying out vitally necessary measures…. The separate existence of the federal states will not be done away…. The number of cases in which an internal necessity exists for having recourse to such law is in itself a limited one.

– Adolph Hitler

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools