Topic

Gear Warning: Marmot Super Mica Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Warning: Marmot Super Mica Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I took the Super Mica backpacking on Camel's Hump as a windshirt, and as an outer layer during high-intensity hiking. While in my sleeping bag- NOT while hiking- a long piece of seam tape detached from the inner lining all at once. I put it in my pack, planning to use it as evidence to return it.

The next night, while I was very gently (trust me) wiggling out of the jacket in my sleeping bag, the entire back seam from shoulderblade to shoulderblade tore like paper. This was a different seam from the tape incident, and it was right along the seam the entire way.

I've been babying this jacket, never washed it, used only a handful of times. Think, there's only been three rainstorms since August where I've been outside a lot, so less than 10 uses. It really disintegrated.

Replaced by Zappos, no questions asked, with a Patagonia Super Cell jacket, which looks to be higher quality. And honestly, I prefer a bright blue for biking to a black jacket anyways… so it's all for the best. I have not used any other Marmot products, but this definitely steers me away from lightweight gear from them. I wouldn't mind a fleece, those look high-quality, but this jacket was just flimsy.

Weight gain: 5 ounces. This experience puts durability back at a premium for me, given how much I rely on a good shell.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I bought my wife a Marmot shell last year (can't remember which one but it's similar to the Men's Mica (not the Super…lacks reinforcements). It hasn't torn or had seam tape delaminate, but the DWR is shot after a single year of somewhat limited use. I threw it in the wash with NikWax Tech and that didn't help, so we're going to try the Nikwax wash-in DWR. She now has a Paclite jacket for harder weather and the Marmot will be an emergency only shell.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools