Topic

how to repair my down jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear how to repair my down jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I have a Mountain Hardware Nitrous Down jacket. I believe it has a 30D ripstop shell. The shell has a small hole from an ember. Caan anyone suggest a good repair for this. My thoughts so far have been a dab of silicone or sew or both.

Thank you

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I would just cut a patch from some self-adhesive ripstop repair tape. Make sure the corners of the patch are rounded, otherwise it will peel off. Rub the patch down well with a smooth, rounded object.

A carefully applied patch will last a long time…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe just pinch it closed from both sides and then sew.

It depends on how big the hole, where it is,…

Try pinching it with your fingers while you're wearing it to see if it would look okay

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Sounds like a job for McNetts Tenacious tape, I patched many buddies jacket with it over the years.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

The tape is a good idea. Since REI was out of the Tenacious tape. I went for a small round piece of white cuben tape. Seems like a winner and is not terrible looking and keeps the feathers in. This jacket is about to travel the AT so I imagine this is just the first of many such holes. Thanks for the input.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools