Topic

Fuel bottle for SIdewinder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fuel bottle for SIdewinder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi,

I want to store my fuel bottle in the pot with all other cooking stuff. Since Ti-Tri has cone shape when rolled and the included bottle is a way too big, I've started to look for a good alternatives to the genuine bottle. So for now I've ordered a single oil bottle for sewing machine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150ml-Clear-White-Plastic-Orange-Point-Nozzle-Sewing-Machine-Oil-Bottle-/230853895406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bff6e4ee

It's $3 with shippping.

According to specs it's feather light (9g), 150 ml which is enough for 2-3 days. There are also bigger bottles with identical shape (200, 250, 300ml).

What other users of sidewinder are using as their fuel container?

Kind regards, Greg.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Near the bottom:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71861&skip_to_post=613314#613314

I can't recall where I got it, but it was one of the cottage UL backpacking suppliers and it was advertised as an alcohol fuel bottle.

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

I dropped in Starbucks the other day and picked up a Peter Rabbit fruit smoothy in what looks like a fairly robust 4-6oz mylar-like pouch with a screw top lid. It looks perfect for a UL alcohol fuel bottle for a short trip. Has anyone tried one of these. I'll be giving it a go on my next weekender. It should fit into pretty much any shaped space of the appropriate size.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some of those fruit pouches that I have found hold 3.1 ounces of liquid. The screw lid is obviously made large, but you can remove a lot of the plastic to lighten it up. Unfortunately, a good titanium stake point would pierce that thing in an instant.

–B.G.–

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

For when I use Alcohol stoves:
    I use a small Listerine bottle (I have a small Evernew 550ml sidewinder set-up), which tucks up nicely into my coiled sidewinder cone….great for one to two night trips.

The advantage of this is that the bottle is relatively flat, so I can tuck it into my jacket (if I need to keep the bottle warmish/warmer) without noticing any annoying bulge. Plus, it has a safety cap to reduce the likelihood of accidental opening.

Listerine fuel bottle with food colouring
    Listerine bottle…with approx. 80ml of fuel.

Listerine bottle inside coiled Sidewinder
    Listerine bottle coiled inside cone.

Stove, cone & mug etc. ready to pack away
    Whole kit, including fuel, stove, half pack towel, lighter, measuring cup and mug (modified sippy cup) ready to be packed away.

If I want anything larger in volume, it goes elsewhere in my kit. :-)

Edit: Added another photo. Plus, the label on the fuel bottle should read Ethanol, not Methanol.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

I'm struggling with my MYOG cola can cup with DIY cozy and the cone to fit inside my pot. I see, without cutting it a bit (2-3mm) I won't be able to insert the whole set…

BTW, if you use the starlyte stove, why do you bring the measuring cup? There is no way to know how much fuel is remained in the stov though, right?

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Well, I got the bottle I talked about. It fits the inside the cone perfectly. Just the same shape! Amazing! It is 9 gram (checked that).

Some issues:
    0) The bottle stated as 150ml, but after I measured it (lab equipment) I found it's 137ml filled to the top. The markings on the bottle are also inaccurate (you actually can't use them)
    1) There is no closing cap, There is a long nozzle that you should cut. So for preventing spills of fuel I put there a piece of rubber sheet. Not sure if this will work in a hike. However it did pass the pressure test (in hand), so until it will be inside the pot and fixed with the sidewinder I think it's OK. Should test it.

Maybe finding another cap will be nice.
    So far I'm happy. Couldn't find better solution…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools