Topic

VBL idea- am I crazy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) VBL idea- am I crazy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

So I was out working in the garage today and it was really cold out there. I had on a pair of blue disposable gloves and didn't notice my hands getting cold. My hands ALWAYS get cold…so I went out in the yard and continued to do more work with the blue gloves. Still no cold hands. Then it occurred to me that maybe they were working as a VBL layer would.

I'm talking about these things:blue gloves

So I've been trying to hack the cold feet problem when snowshoeing/winter camping, and it occurred to me that it would be awesome if I had some blue plastic socks like those gloves. I have been experimenting with bread bags, veggie bags, etc, but the blue gloves are more durable and form fitting.

I'm going to design a new product for backpackers. :) Or does this exist?

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Try googling "Travel Feet". I saw a tour group of about twenty people in LAX, all wearing these.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

"And then, of course, the ultimate winter VBL outfit…"

Ohh man! Doug you will be missed this year at Henry Coe.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Ummm, Doug, are you tempting me with that Catsuit?? LMAO.

Thanks for the other ideas. I'll test them out. I'm looking for a cheap alternative to purchasing expensive VBL socks.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I tried searching for the "Travel feet" you mentioned and couldn't find them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to purchasing expensive VBL socks.

plastic grocery bags, people do.

Doug. I don't want to know why you look certain things up. But if you ever have a party I want an invite. Should be memorable.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Yah, I tried those too and they get bunchy. I want something a little more form fitting like that catsuit.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I tried those too and they get bunchy. I want something a little more form fitting like that catsuit."

better visual.

I don't get out in too cold of weather. Though it is very damp here a lot of the time. I use Goretex socks for around camp and sleeping. Fairly warm. And I can be comfortable with dry feet in wet shoes.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I have been using the gloves like that for quite some time.

But I haven't found socks like that yet.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Doug found them. Here they are:

http://www.mytravelfeet.com/

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

NRS also makes the hydroskin socks which are only $25 or so IIRC. They're 0.5mm neoprene with some thin fleece lining. I've used them paired with thick poly socks while hiking all day in 40F water without being unbearably cold. They're pretty lightweight too for the warmth.

As for the catsuit, I've been trying to find a nitrile version, but no luck. My girlfriend has a latex allergy unfortunately!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I am also in a search for a DURABLE VBL sock solution. Bread bags and other stronger bags rarely last more than ten miles and I also have had the bunching problem. Next I made booties out of .8 cuben fiber. Works great for sleeping but I wore them hiking and blew a heel hole in about 15 miles. The next generation was made out 2.2 PU coated nylon. They are waiting for crappy weather to see how long they last. The good news on these is the low cost to make. And super quick.

If they don't last then I will try 210 dyneema. If none of these work then I may have to try the travel feet. At least they are cheap and easy. If someone uses them let me know How many miles you can get out of a pair?

Same with the swimming socks, they look to have some potential. Anyone know mileage on those?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've put a few miles on a pair of RBH socks and they're still going strong. You'd have to seam seal them to make them completely waterproof, but they're more durable, and warmer, than anything I've used in the past. Only good for cold hiking.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I know the MEC VBL socks .

These are durable and PU coated. Nylon weight is not stated but I'd say 2.2 would be close. The problem I still find with them is that they're not waterproof enough for inmersion or marshy hiking but I understand these are tough situations as the water pressure must get quite high.

VBL is a great idea for hands and feet as they don't sweet that much in cold conditions. I don't like form-fitting gloves though, they're a pain to put on and take off, particulartly if it is raining and the skin is wet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools