Topic

How do you pack your Xtherm?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do you pack your Xtherm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I bought one because I'm a cold sleeper but have only used it so far for car camping, since I use a hammock for backpacking trips. But this summer I will have a couple of trips where I'll use the Solomid hence the pad. One thing I've noticed (and admittedly I haven't experimented much yet) is that it's a bit hard to pack down. It can be rolled as it came(basically folded lengthwise in thirds and rolled) which takes a bit of time and seems rather bulky….anyone found a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew DiMicelli

@adimi24

Would like to know as well

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Folded in 1/2 only and then rolled (size L)…use a longer/narrower stuff sack (13")…stick it in the front pocket next to my tent (TT Notch, 16" stuff sack).

This is on a NeoAir All Season, but same principle…FWIW.

-Mark in St. Louis

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I used an XLite all summer, but recently switched to the XTherm during the Eddie Bauer Black Friday sale. In both cases, I have simply folded it in thirds and rolled it up, similar to how it came from the factory. I had no problems with that in the field.

I have started using my Instaflator as a stuff sack, so I might try rolling it without the folds, but it is more difficult when doing so to get all the air out of the pad, leaving it a little bulkier than when folded in thirds. Not that I couldn't get the hang of that either, just one reason I haven't done that regularly.

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

As it is waterproof, I see no need for a stuff sack. I simply roll it up in thirds like Clayton and then put a rubber band around it. As it has no stuff sack for protection, I am careful where/how I put it in my pack. Of course, I try to be gentle on all of my gear within reason….

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

When I used the XLite, I did keep it in a stuff sack for the sake of protecting the lighter 30D fabric from abrasion. The XTherm has a 70D bottom, so as long as you roll it up with the bottom on the outside, there should be little worry about that.

I still store it in the Instaflator partly through habit and partly because if it's there, why not add an extra layer of protection. It also makes the Instaflator easier to find when setting up camp.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

He I also have a XTherm in regular and I tried both. I folded the mat in the 1/2 and in 1/3 and rolled it. Both solutions are excellent.

Robert Burke
    BPL Member

@coastiebob

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking

I am full of hot air so I use my lungs as an instaflator. Inflation time is the only peace and quiet some folks get ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools