Topic

I don’t know much about stoves…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I don’t know much about stoves…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Isaacs
    Spectator

@daughtkom

Locale: San Diego

I am planning a summer trip to Mt Whitney, although most of my other trips are at lower elevations (I'd guess 6000-7000 ft or less), almost always between late spring and early fall — I'm a winter wuss. I usually don't take a stove at all, and just eat cold food, but am thinking about changing it up this time.

I don't know much about the different types of stoves. While I wouldn't mind specific stove recommendations, I'd really appreciate an understanding of which types of stoves (fuels) work best in different settings.

Any tips or quality links. I've seen lots of sites, but some seem to conflict.

Thanks,

Scott

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Paulo Pereira

@ppereira007

This blog has tons of great info on stoves
    http://www.adventuresinstoving.blogspot.fr/

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

For Whitney in the summer, make your life easy with a nice simple light canister stove. This dog here is the old reliable:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___65114

Or go fancier and even easier(but spendier) with a Jetboil Sol:

http://www.rei.com/product/813622/jetboil-sol-stove

Just don't get the Sol Ti – it has had issues with the fins on the bottom of the pot. And don't get the Jetboil if want to do anything besides boil water.

You'll want a separate windscreen if you get the Snowpeak, but can likely do without if you get the jetboil.

Yeah, you could do alcohol for whitney and save a couple ounces maybe, but I'd rather have the simplicity of the canister stove, especially when you just want one more hot drink and your brain is in low gear due to the altitude.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Scott, I also suggest a lightweight canister stove and a cook/boil kit with a wind screen. You will be thrilled at the efficiency and speed to boil, and everyone appreciates a cup of steaming cider, tea or coffee at altitude!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

You are a financial Member. BPL has LOTs of technical and general articles on stoves for you to read. Probably more than any other web site available.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"financial Member"

That is undefined.

You may mean above Forum Member.

–B.G.–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools