Topic

Freezer Bag Cooking for 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freezer Bag Cooking for 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Locale: Indiana

My wife and I plan on doing FBC and carrying one stove and pot. We have a 1000ml pot from the Brunton IB set. Is this pot big enough to boil water for 2? It seems to hold enough by looking at the FBC recipes, but we havent had any hands on experience. If not what would you reccomend? The Evernew 1.3L looks to be the next step up. Are there any other tips from the FBCer's out there?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Colton, I think that's just barely big enough. I wouldn't change it at all. If you do have a meal that requires a little more water, you can always heat just a little more more water while your FB meal is re-hydrating and add it just a little late. But I think a liter is just about right.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

The pot seems large enough to me–I would do some dry runs before the hike to test it out. My other thought is for convenience sake do seperate freezer bags for you and your wife and package your individual meals in the smaller bags rather than the larger quart size. It will get old fast sharing out of one bag. Also look at cozies with flat bottoms so that you can open the bag and eat out of them in a bowl shape. I found that much easier than the 'envelope' cozy that kept the bag in a long narrow shape that had me digging for the bottom.

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Locale: Indiana

Thats good to hear. I was hoping to not have to buy another piece of gear. We did plan on using our own bags. We used to share and I like to eat much faster than her so that didnt work well. Just another reason on top of many to switch to FBC.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> Is this pot big enough to boil water for 2?

Yes, I think so. We typically use an MSR Titan (0.85L) or the GSI kettle (1 qt=0.9L) and they both work fine. Most of our FBC meals require 1 to 1.5 cups of boiling water (for each.)

I take a lot of noodle-soups and prefer eating them out of a bowl instead of a plastic bag+cozy. I take a lidded plastic food container (like a 'Gladware' container) that I use to store crackers/bread in my pack and then use as a cozy/bowl during meals. They weigh 1.5-1.8 oz or so.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When I would take my oldest son with me usually what I did was make our meals separately – so that each person could choose what they wanted, at any given time. And no need to break it out after cooking. Anyhow, 2 bags will still fit in one cozy though nicely.
    As for pot size? It depends. I usually carry close to a 2 L pot if there are 2 of us – but that is because I like drinking hot drinks quite a bit. So when I boil water, I do 4 cups for dinner, and 3 for drinks, plus a cup for washing up faces and hands or so. :-)

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

We use a 1650ml cookpot. It will hold 4 plus cups of water. That is plenty for both meals and a hot drink. We put each meal in its own freezer bag because she may want something to eat that I don't one night. It makes it a lot easier for us.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

We always use a .9 liter GSI kettle to FBC for 2–it works fine. We do a second boil for hot drinks (which we prefer to drink a little while after dinner, anyway).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools