Topic

Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Jensen

@attack5

Locale: Murderapolis

Hello,
    My first post. WOO-HOO!!
    I'm in the army and as many know, the favorite piece of issued gear is the poncho liner or "woobie", it's just a blanket but holds a near and dear spot in my heart. Kifaru just came out with their own woobie and I want to make one similar. I am planning on using black momentum for one side and climashield combat for insulation. But I need help in finding a breathable nylon in dark green, olive drab, or foliage green (armys new color). I have searched high and low including all the links that many of you have posted to no avail.

Any and all help is appreciated!! Thanks.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Momentum is now available from thru-hiker.com in several colors, including khaki. That might be the best solution in color you are looking for.
    If the blanket will be treated with care, light silk dyed exactly to meet your preferences would be an option.

Clay Moore

@cwm_nm

Locale: On the Rio Grande

I've also searched everywhere for a breathable nylon with out any kind of DWR finish on it, and I havent found it either. If you do please post where you find it. I think momentum has DWR on it

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Have you tried The RainShed?

Here is one of their fabrics that may suit your purposes:

Ultra Flare Nylon Ripstop
    A lightweight 40 denier ripstop
    You can make a jacket of this windbreak fabric, then carry it in your pocket while hiking.
    Suggested needles: Microtex 70/10
    Price/yd $6.00
    Width 60"
    Weight/sq yd 1.75 oz
    Machine wash warm on the gentle cycle. Partially machine dry low.
    Colors change. Call.

From their home page, select 'Fabrics' then 'Uncoated Nylons and Polyesters'.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I think that washing fabrics that have DWR on them in regular detergents actually washes the DWR out of the fabric.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools