Topic

Help Plan Location of Our PCT Trip This Summer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help Plan Location of Our PCT Trip This Summer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

My girlfriend and I are taking a trip out west this coming summer and are having trouble picking a section of trail on the PCT. We're 27 years old and in good shape. We'd like to hear some sugestions from you. Here are some guidelines:

-We would like to do about 100 miles in 6 days.
    -We would like to have one resupply point (town with post office).
    -We're not interested in doing a loop. We want to stay on the PCT.
    -We're not sure how to get from the airport to the trail, and from the trail to the airport.
    -Mountains are great, but not necessary. We're considering the section that covers Mount Whitney.

I look forwared to hearing your sugestions. Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"We're considering the section that covers Mount Whitney."

I guess you know that Mount Whitney is not on the PCT.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Not sure the mileage but head in at Bishop and out at Whitney. Not much better bang for buck than that.

a b

@ice-axe

Leave your car in Lone Pine.
    Take the bus to Independence and hitch a ride up to Onion Valley. (It is the easiest hitch along the PCT.. dead end road.. only hikers driving to and from TH)

Hike over Kearsarge Pass and join the PCT near Vidette meadows.
    South over Forrester pass and hang a left at Crabtree Meadows and summit Whitney on your last day(s).
    Down to Lone Pine and journey is complete.

Kearsarge Pass area is absolutely stunning and a few days could be spent there alone.
    .Kearsarge Pass area

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

Sounds like fun.

What are the approximate dates of this trip? If in June, or even the first half of July, the snowpack may heavily influence your options in some locations.

You say you're in great shape. Are you in great HILL shape? A 17-mile day in the High Sierra is going to be dramatically more difficult than a 17-mile day in Oregon. You might be talking 5000+ feet of climbing per day, and the same amount of descending, with a pack, moving very slowly because you're at 11k or 12k or higher and are not acclimated. PCT'ers racking up 20-25 mile days in southern California usually slow down to 15 miles/day once they hit the Whitney area. It's just very taxing. If in the High Sierra you could maybe aim for, say, ~12-14 miles/day instead of trying to make 100 miles in 6 days.

Most people I talk to who've done the whole PCT (I've only done certain sections) preferred either the High Sierra between Whitney and Yosemite, or parts of Washington State, especially the trek through the North Cascades (north-central Washington). The WA section from Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is probably around 100 miles, and I can highly recommend that one. Someone also mentioned Bishop Pass to Mt. Whitney in CA, and that's also about as good as it gets (although it is also very high/vertical/difficult, so check the mileage to make sure that doesn't create 18-mile days).

– Elizabeth

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

p.s. You want a resupply point at the midpoint? I'm sure we can think of a few. Just know that requiring a resupply town will reduce your options, as some of the best scenery is also the most remotely located, with no realistic 3-day resupply source.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The WA section from Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass is probably around 100 miles, and I can highly recommend that one."

Washington Trails Association has it at 75 miles with 16,000' of elevation gain. There is about 17,000'of loss, IIRC. Other sources, like REI, put it as low as 68.5 miles. In any case, it's a great hike and I can heartily second your recommendation. Someone in reasonably good shape could easily do 16-18 miles/day, and PCT types far more. Altitude is not a problem, but the ups and downs make for a good workout. Hard to beat the scenery. It is best done in late August or September, especially in high snow years. There is one stream crossing below Mt Daniels that can be really dicey when the stream is running high.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

-We have decided not to do Whitney. We are in good shape and can handle 15-20 mile days (without much elevation change), but she is not used to elevation and I'm not sure how she would handle it. We're not going to risk our trip on it.

-We've decided a re-supply town is not necessary. However, if we don't have one, we may cut our time on the trail down to four days.

-If we do a section near Yosemite, we may do four days on the trail and then spend a night or two in Yosemite when we're done.

Thoughts?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mammoth (Reds Meadow area) to Yosemite Valley is a nice 3-4 day trip via the JMT/PCT.
    its about 56-65 miles depending on how and where you start.

the logistics of this trip are also fairly easy.

you would finish in Yosemite Valley, hang there as long as desired, then take the YARTS bus back to Mammoth.

p.s.

Diamox (need a doctor's prescription) does work for altitude issues.
    you will still huff and puff going up hill but you won't get altitude sick.

Brian Pendley
    Spectator

@newbie58

Nate
    You might consider the +/- 76-mile section J of PCT from Sonora Pass to Echo Lake (near Lake Tahoe). See National Geographic topo maps (mostly hols at 9000') link at http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/mapdl.html
    My wife & I are looking at this section for this summer as well.
    thx
    Brian
    PS if you want another 76-miles start from Yosemite (section I of PCT)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools