Topic

Hammock Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

Just received Dutch's new suspension setup. My Grand Trunks Nano-7 hammock weighs 4.84 oz. and the new suspension weighs 3.39 oz. for a total of 8.23oz.

Breakout:
    Ti Dutch Clips (2) – 15 g
    Dynaglide UCRs, w/ Ti Whoopie Hooks (2) – 21 g
    Tree Straps, 4' (2) – 58 g
    Dynaglide Continous Loops (2) – 2g

For my XUL setup, I can leave the two dutch clips at home and just loop through. This drops the total suspension setup to 2.86 oz

I have a BIAS bugnet that weighs 178g or 6.28 oz.

My Zpacks tarp with whoopieslings.com ridgeline and guylines and MountainGoat snakeskins weighs 8.22 oz (233g). I never individually weighed them out.

My DIY IXUQ currently weighs 7.9 oz. but I removed the suspension so the weight will increase. Will most likely just add some 1.25 zline and some of the aluminum quilt hooks so I don't need to run the shockcord along the sides. Hoping this will help with drafts as well.

Looking to pick up a custom Yeti or perhaps a Te-Wa UQ here in the future. I've also been scoping out the Darien UL from Dream-Hammocks – I think that cuts my weight down a hair, but I'd also get a longer hammock for a better hang. The weight of the Darien UL also includes the stuff sack and RL organizer. The 10' Darien UL is 13.4 oz and the 11' is 14.5 oz, so .26 oz lighter than my current setup with the 11' hammock.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That's light Seth!

If I could get comfy in a short, narrow hammock I'd have the same setup.

One easy way to cut the weight of your current setup is to buy PapaSmurf's tulle bugnet. You could lop off a few ounces from your current weight and sell the BIAS net on HF. I have one of PapaSmurf's nets and it is truly awesome.

Keep us posted on the Darien if you go that route. He really comes up w/cool things.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

How much does PS's bugnet weigh? Dream-Hammocks has a bugnet listed for 2 oz. One of those things where I had asked for a bugnet for xmas and then found Dream-Hammock's for sale.

I could never find Papa Smurf's website with products for sale?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

They are one and the same. :)

I'm a little unclear how the DarienUL at 13.4oz would save over the GTNano7. Am I missing something in your calculations?

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I have both of Papa Smurf's/Dream-Hammock's bug socks. The tulle weighs in at 2.1 oz but is very delicate. I ripped a hole in it the first time out just by letting it hit the ground. Wonderfully light but need to really baby it. His other bug sock with noseeum .7 netting is just 5 oz if I remember correctly. I still reach for the tulle bug sock most often due to the weight savings–just need to be extra careful with it.

I use them with my reconfigured Nano 7 hammock as well. With whoopie slings and light tree straps, all in at 10 oz or so. I use this set up at every break to get my feet in the air and give my back a break. Pure bliss!Nano 7 with tulle bug sock

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Oh that's right, I forget PapaSmurf is Dream-Hammocks.

Well, my hammock and suspension currently weighs 8.23 oz and my bugnet weighs 6.28 oz for a toal of 14.51 oz. If I were to come up with a lighter bugnet, like PapaSmurf's 2 oz. bugnet, my setup would be 10.23 oz +/-. HOWEVER, the comfort level of a 10' or 11' hammock would likely be much greater than my GTNano-7. Is it worth the 3.17 or 4.27 oz weight penalty….maybe, just maybe!

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

I use my Nano 7 just for breaks and relaxing at the end of the day. I've not tried a hammock as my main shelter so can't speak to that. I'm 6' and 250 lbs and find the Nano 7 pretty comfortable but I've not tried any other ones to compare it to.

If I was to look at a hammock as a main shelter I would likely get a larger size but keep the tulle bug sock. The savings of the bug sock will make up for the weight of a heavier, larger hammock. May still keep your kit in the 12-14 oz range, not counting a tarp.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

I would most likely go with PapaSmurf's bugsock for my XUL setup. With that and leaving the dutch clips at home, I'd be saving nearly 5 oz which is fairly significant when we're talking a bpw < 3 lbs.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i too have the pappa smurf tulle bugnet. other than the awesome weight savings you get w/ tulle over noseeum net, you 'll also get a nicer breeze through it, which is cherished in the hot summer months when you actually need a bug net. :D i too ripped a little hole in mine, but not really a big deal to me in PA. also, a side note. papa smurf was a really awesome dude to work w/. i would gladly give him repeat business…

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

I wonder how well the Darien UL would work if they used tulle as the bugnet. I think I might make his bugnet a spring project for myself after I'm done coaching this season.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Seth, I encourage you to make the tulle bug sock yourself if so inclined. Of all of my gear that I think might be overpriced, the tulle bug sock tops the list. It doesn't take much labor to make, the pattern is out there on the web, the materials cost pennies to buy locally but the thing costs $50+ online. I don't sew and have the disposable income so I paid the price but it should be a breeze to make for probably $5 or less and it would be tough to do it wrong I think. There's not much to them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools