Topic

Bivy Plans – Checking on materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bivy Plans – Checking on materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Or, you could attach the brown paper template to something stiffer, like a board that's maybe 3/4" x 1.5"

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

What worked best for me was having a fairly large work area. I used the kitchen table with the center leaf added. There was a little slipping and sliding that needed to be done to accomplish the task because I don't have a 10' kitchen table. ;-)

I could have resorted to using the floor but my back and knees won't put up with that for too long.

Another option for a work surface is a Ping Pong table which is 5' x 9'. Does that size sound familiar? LOL

Party On,

Newton

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

Ironing your paper will reduce its tendency to roll up. I'd recommend weighting down, rather than pinning it. Not only does that avoid poking holes in something you want water proof, it does a better job of keeping it nice and flat.

What's used for patterns in industry is oaktag, which is essentially the same stuff that's used for manilla folders. It's much, much nicer to work with than kraft paper. It doesn't tear, is stiff enough it doesn't roll up, and has a nice hard edge for tracing against. Its hard to get in pieces bigger than than a folder and less than a 30 pound roll, unfortunately. a piece of cardboard from a refrigerator box or something would like work well enough for making a one-off tarp.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

David,

To clarify my pinning process I don't pin through the portion of the fabric that I intend to use as the roof panels for the tarp.

I only pin the portion that will actually be cut off and unused scraps.

I guess I should have been clearer on where I pinned the fabric.

Party On,

Newton

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Jamie,

I'm moving ahead using your design. Thanks! I'll post back with questions and updates along the way.

Oh and since I'm limited with the amount of raw fabric I have (should be plenty for the plans you listed), I might just adjust the size of my bivy to make it fit, rather than make the tarp fit over the bivy.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

I'm in a bind. I cut 120" of raw fabric, but realized the end I measured from wasn't 90*. What's the solution here? If I was going to make a flat tarp, I figure I could hem the ends at 90*, but I'm planning on making a cat-cut tarp from Jamie's design (Lytw8).

Thankfully I started with more length than necessary.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Nevermind – I put on my headlamp and cut along the ripstop line. Problem solved.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

A cat-cut seemed too much for right now. I opted for a flat tarp after all. Edges are hemmed and it weighs ~8.7 oz before the tie-outs.

Thanks for all the help!

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools