Topic

Alaska, Yellowstone, and awesome group trips for 2013! Let’s plan now!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Alaska, Yellowstone, and awesome group trips for 2013! Let’s plan now!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

My trip last year was during July 4th Holidays, and boy it was already dry and dusty. I also drove up to beartooth pass and there was no snow at all at 12K feet.

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

last year was the drought too. Hopefully we will get more snow.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Geez, the last time that I drove over Beartooth Pass, I couldn't even see over the snow walls of the road. Some poor marmot had come out of its burrow to find eight feet of snow, and it was running along the highway pavement trying to figure out how to climb an eight-foot snow wall before it became roadkill.

–B.G.–

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I could be really interested in a Thorofare trip later in the season. I will be in the Winds beginning of Aug, and would love a serious fishing trip..
    I'm a serious fisherman, and I'm up for wahtever mileage you come up with. I will be using a tarp, or I have a Lunar Duo that I can share with someone if that helps.
    please, keep me posted!

Also, I'd drive over from Idaho, so could help with folks needing transportation or with help for a loop shuttle.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Hey gang.

So I went over all the replies and here's the current status update:

– There seems to be significant interest in Yellowstone in the Summer (Aug/Sep)

– Glacier National Park also has significant interest (5-6 people)

– The Thorofare route seems to be the leader in terms of routes for Yellowstone.

– I created a spreadsheet which we can edit to decide on routes, etc.. It has RSVP , date suggestions, etc. I also want to record personal information eventually (email , phone) so that we can collaborate as the time approaches.

– If we are going to go in the spring we're going to need to pick a route. It would also be nice to get people to commit and RSVP for the spring so that we know it's worth planning.

We should also figure out if anyone has any special gear and avoid bringing duplicate gear (weight savings).

There's a lot of redundancy in cooking equipment for example.

What is the upper limit for our party do you think. 5-6 is a healthy size. Anything greater than 10 would be difficult. We could perhaps break it into two trips.

If you guys PM me your email address I will invite you to the Google Spreadsheet and you can enter your info and RSVP your slot.

David Hendrix

@dhendrix44

I'd love to join the group. Let me know….

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

PM me your email… I'll invite you to the spreadsheet.

It's a LONG way off for all of this stuff so we should just try to make steady progress.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Looks like Kevin got busy or something, any updates on this trip.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

If you can PM me I can invite you to the spreadsheet. I need update threads for each trip.

We've been collaborating a bit via email.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Sent a PM to add my email.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I sent couple of PM to Burtonator to add my email ID to whatever spreadsheet he is talking about, but still haven't got any response. So is the trip dead?

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

We started an e-mail discussion and threw some ideas around. PM me with your personal e-mail and I'll add you.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools