Topic

Insulated Waterproof Gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Insulated Waterproof Gloves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

There are a million on the market but I am looking for something that is lightweight. I can find lightweight shell mitts and glove liners but when it comes to insulated and waterproof it is hard to know since most don't mention weight or concentrate on durable palms etc. I would probably wear them with liner gloves so don't need a bunch of insulation but combined with liner gloves I would say temps down to 20s or maybe teens max. Durable enough to clutch trekking poles would be good enough. Please let me know what you have found and weights. Thanks, Jeff

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Some sort of liner which is thin. Silk Liner?
    Dachestien Wool Mitt
    Some sort of taped waterproof mitts. REI taped mitts? or eVent mitts which will be more expensive.

Also there is Size M OR waterproof mitts for sale on Gear Swap.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Check Cabela's offerings

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Rab makes an Event waterproof glove that's lightly insulated. Size up if you want to wear liners. I'm happy with mine. Sorry, I don't know the weight but they are definitely durable.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Jeffrey's talking about the RAB Latok. My mediums weigh 5 oz.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

In my experience, silk liners were inadequate insulation for WPB mitts to work in cold rain. I'll be sizing up on the mitts to accommodate a fleece liner for 2013.

Cheers

Bill

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

Im not a technical climbing guru or anything…but if your use is just trekking + poles etc I would seriously consider the combination above.

Reading quite a bit about the subject it seems it doesnt matter how awesome your 1 piece insulated+WPB mitt/glove is the insulation will wet out from sweat and water coming in from cuff etc.
    I followed other people;s advice and have gone with liner+wool+WPBmitt.
    This way you have many combos (eg juts liner, just WPB, liner+WPB, wool alone and so on) and you can take the insulation OUT and wring it/stuff in your crotch to warmup and dry

My personal choices were:
    Liner (obviously many options here) OR powerstrech and I also have a REALLY THIN one that i can wear inside the OR (made of something a bit like lycra

Wool – I went with ORTOVOX Arctic – they have a nice selection (basically like Dachstein) its heavy weight wool pre shrunk in hot water etc etc. warm when wet, no frills etc

WPB – went with MLD eVent rain mitt – its very LW compared to other 3layer models …I gather it can take quite a bit of abuse of the type you are talking about…of ocurse there are lighter (zppacks+BRG Cuben mitts) or much sturdier ones

Mike

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I had an interesting "learning" trip on the AT a couple weeks ago. I had the opportunity to experience every known weather condition from rain, wind, snow, cold and warmth. For weather like this which I think is much more challenging than consistent sub freezing temps, I have modified my glove system with the following layers.

1) Capilene glove liner.
    2) VBL/WP (lightweight cleaning gloves)
    3) fleece mitten gloves, could be two layers depending on conditions.
    4) silnyl mitten shells

Liners are always worn. Add wind or colder temperatures then VBL/WP added. This would take me down to about freezing while hiking. Fleece added when temperatures drop below freezing and mitten shells added for cold temperatures with either wind or snow. This setup may appear to be overkill but it is very versatile. It can also be modified with additional or heavier insulation layers as conditions warrant. If I were taking off to hike the AT NoBo on Jan 1 this is definitely the setup I would take. That trip taught me that you can experience a huge range of nasty conditions and that my glove system has to be flexible enough to evolve with the conditions.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

On my last December backpacking trip I ran into my backpacking buddy Patman who showed me his new Mt Hardwear down mittens which I tried on and they are light and fantastic and waterproof. They could be worn a size larger with a lightweight fleece glove. And they are warm.

Patman's Mitts

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

clearly a "system" is superior to one glove and outer mitts are warmer than outer gloves

I use a very thin liner (Patagonia) w/ a mid-weight fleece mitt (OR PL400) and waterproof outer mitt (OR Endeavor)- this "system" works well from 50 degrees to below 0

I haven't tried a VPL glove, but that's a good idea that weighs next to nothing and doubles as gloves for rendering first aid

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

PM sent

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Mike's post reminded me of the time that I improvised at the Dollar Store in a trail town.

I wanted to keep my hands dry and warm while collecting water during a winter hike.

Dish washing gloves

I picked up a pair of these and they worked pretty well. I still have a pair in my gear locker. The extra length of the "gauntlet" is easily cut down.

I sized mine to fit my hands but I think you could size up and use a thin breathable liner glove underneath and create a fairly warm cold weather, waterproof glove system for just a little $$.

BTW Gloves of this sort do come in more "muted" colors. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ hey whatever works works- right :)

I decided to try some thin latex gloves under my fleece gloves today as conditions were less than ideal for running- started at 20F w/ ~ a 10 mph wind, an hour into the run the wind picked up to 20-ish mph and started snowing heavily- your basic blizzard :)

anywho, my hands stayed toasty the entire run- my hands were wet when I took the latex gloves off, but warm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools