Topic

Cold weather face protection while sleeping?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cold weather face protection while sleeping?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I spent last night camping in my first real cold weather. It got down to 1degree and for the most part I was very happy with how my gear performed. However, my face, mostly nose, was very cold and I slept a good part of the night with my face buried in my sleeping bag and woke up to a wet frozen outer bag where my head was.

What do you use to protect your face in very cold conditions like that so you dont wet out your bag?

Thanks

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

I use a merino balaclava and/or a merino beanie and fleece/furry/merino neck gaiter.

I also have on hand my hooded EB Downlight…but…I've yet to use it. My bag is a Marmot Pinnacle 15 and is hooded with a draft collar…FWIW.

Obviously at extreme lows, and at elevation, you might need a warmer bag and some additional down layering (booties, hood, pants, etc.).

-Mark in St. Louis

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My current method is a Mountain Hardwear beanie on my head and a buff around my neck (2/3 buff since I thought was too long). So I wear the beanie around camp and then pull the buff up as high as needed while I sleep. My windshirt hood gets pullled up over my beanie at bedtime too. It works well for me.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I use either an acrylic knit balaclava or a light fleece neck gaiter pulled up over my mouth, or over my nose if it's cold enough.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Great post as I am curious to read others' replies. Since I sleep with a quilt the whole cold head issue comes up during the shoulder seasons. I buy all of my LS shirts and mid and outer layers with hoods so I just add hoods through the night as it gets colder. I also use a buff for my neck and then if my face gets cold I elongate my buff over my head and make a 'tunnel' in front of my face so that my breathe is easily exhaled and my inhaled air is warmed by the buff before I breath in. The buff collects some moisture through the night but not so much that it affects my comfort.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

+3 on the Buff :) the high tech bandana!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

A merino buff, doubled up in a beanie configuration and the band undolded to cover the nose, works great down to the mid 40's for me.

Below that I add a cheapo acrylic beanie and cover the nose as well.

But at 1 degree?????? I'd have my JRB down hood and cover my face w/ the Buff folded over my face.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

… out of our first issue bpl mag ever ..

"And lastly. My mom’s old scarf… I carry her silk scarf and this silly thing is a godsend. It folds blindfold like and tucks in behind the bomber cap ear flaps at night covering my eyes and making sleep possible in the land of 24 hr light. On really cold nights I can wear it over my bomber cap and it will contain considerable heat near the face while still allowing normal breathing. I folded it in half and sewed up one short side and half the long side, this keeps it over my face all night, while it’s worn open in the back like those hideous hospital gowns."

you never know when you're going to need this kind of stuff:
    the scarf is silk, or silk-like. it breaths to the point of allowing me to sleep with it fully covering my face, thusly it keeps a lot of the warmth and moisture (keeps tongue from splitting) near my face. and too boot, i can sort of see thru it too. and that's always a nice bene when alone in bear country.
    the weight is negligible.

cheers,
    v.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools