Topic

Strange Foot Ailment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Anyone ever get a boil on their foot? I would swear it was not possible until I started looking at a sore spot on my toe.

Having walked about 5 miles (knowingly) in shoes that had shrunk beyond usefulness, I noticed the expected pain of a "blister" on the top of my small toe. After enduring two days of pretty bad pain walking in work shoes…I looked at it closely. It is not a blister at all. I must have irritated one of the two measily little hair follicles and created a red swollen bump.

I have no idea how one expedites treatment, but I cannot imagine getting one on a long trek. Anyone seen anything like this???

Thanks!

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Oh man, I just ate!

Seriously, apply warm compresses to help bring pus to the surface and help get the boil to drain. It should heal up in a week or so if you take care of it. Once it does drain wash the area with soap and water, keep it covered, and otherwise treat it like any other open wound. You might want to see a doctor and they may prescribe antibiotics for you. That may hasten your recovery.

What a pain in the… foot. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

James…that was pretty poor taste for me to be so graphic! It was an eye opener. It actually did not look that bad. Probably why I paid little attention to it at first.

I seem to be foot centric in my thoughts lately…and how they are one of the most vital components of the process.

Thanks for the advice. I am not nearly so bad I need internal meds. (yet!)

I suppose the most eye opening learning is how fast it took place, how painful it is/was, and how you could need to spend a full day or two resting before attempting long miles unless you were willing to risk serious infection and go through the pain. I would probably cut a hole in my shoe if it happened in the field!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

A boil is a staph infection, the drainage is highly contagious.
    Absolute cleanliness is paramount,compresses and elevation help,discard dressings very carefully, disinfect clothing with chlorine, use a antibacterial soap, see a doctor soon. Let a medical person lance it and drain it, not you
    When I was in high school these things ran around my brother and sister like mad, they were supposed to disinfect the shower and the one time they didn't I got a carbuncle,forty years later you could drop a golf ball into the scar indentation and it wouldn't roll away.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools