Topic

Ultralight Multitool?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Multitool?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brandon B

@oracle5

Hey Guys,

I need help finding an alternative to my multitool situation. I use to carry a Victorinox Swiss Champ at around 6.5oz and the last time I posted a gear list I was convinced to ditch that for something lighter. Right now I've moved to a combination of a Leatherman Style PS(I already had for travelling via airplane-has no knife) and a Victorinox Camper(also already had) at 4.2oz all together. I really don't like having 2 tool since there are duplicates.

I've been pretty unsuccessful at finding everything in one tool or even a combination of tools that weighs less. I'd checked out fishing forceps but they are all too heavy to replace the pliers.

The tools I want:
    -pliers(for fishing)
    -wood saw
    -tweezers(for splinters)
    -scissors

Things that would be nice to have:
    -awl
    -small flathead screwdriver

The tools I don't need on the tools I have:
    -knife(already carrying an ESEE 4)
    -pin(fishing pole is held onto my pack with a safety pin that can do this function)
    -corkscrew
    -bottle opener
    -can opener
    -nail file

Thanks.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.quirky.com/products/35

http://www.coastportland.com/micro-fish-tool.htm (2 oz)

Needlenose pliers
    Wire/leader cutter
    Knife blade
    Saw blade
    3 mini screwdrivers (2 flat head, 1 phillips head)
    File blade
    Awl/Fish hook eye cleaner
    Bottle opener
    Scissors
    Wire stripper
    Metric and Imperial ruler
    Lanyard

Brandon B

@oracle5

I actually have that Coast tool, the pieces of it anyway. Quality it is not.

Willy Makeit
    Spectator

@wahlen

Locale: Northern California

I'm not aware of a tool that has ONLY the things you want, but these two are pretty close…
    http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS (only 1.58 oz but no saw)
    http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_PS4 (what I use. 2.0 oz with a small knife blade)
    At those weights, missing the saw may be worth it.

Lars Leber

@lars

I have never found the perfect tool for this. Right now, my favorite combo is a Victorinox Bushcrafter Swiss Army Knife (it has alox handles and only a knife, an awl, and a wood saw) and the Leatherman Style PS.

Bushcrafter 2.2 oz + Leatherman 1.6 oz = 3.8 oz

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The Coast multitool was my first, bought at Walmart for 10 bucks back in 2002. I found it yesterday and I still like it. You have to watch the joint screws which can get loose. The saw is only about 1.5" long so only useful for thin branches which you can break yourself.

Brandon B

@oracle5

Do you know where I can find one of those Victorinox Bushcrafters?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I have roughly the same desired tool list as you and have found no one tool that has everything. My current combo is a Victorinox Rucksack (discontinued) and a Leatherman PS4. From your list, the Rucksack has a blade, woodsaw, awl, and tweezers. It also has a bottle opener, can opener, toothpick, and corkscrew. The PS4 has pliers, scissors, two sizes of flat screwwdriver, and a tiny blade and tiny file (both fairly useless). On trips when I won't be making fires, I take the Leatherman and a Dermasafe blade; otherwise I take both. Eventually, I am looking at replacing the PS4 with the Style PS to get rid of the redundant and un-used tools on the PS4. The pliers, scissors, and small screwdriver are what I use most and they are on the PS. I am looking at replacing the Rucksack with an SAK from Swiss Bianco. They are limited edition runs of certain knives, including some models with just a blade, saw, and one other tool. To get an idea of what they sell, you can see their past newsletters here.

ETA: just saw your post. The Bushcrafter is one of the models Swiss Bianco sometimes offers.

Lars Leber

@lars

You can order the Bushcrafter from Swiss Bianco but the price is kind of steep at $50. Another option is to get a Victorinox Farmer for around $30 from Amazon and then customize it yourself by taking out the layer with the bottle and can opener (there are some tutorials online).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It would be awesome if Victorinox made a version where you customized the parts yourself based on what you needed for a trip. That would sell like mad I bets.

Tim J
    Spectator

@tdjarman

<span style=”color: #000000;”>I am new to this community and starting to convert my equipment to Ultra Light.   I appreciate everyone advice and comments.   I would rather learn from your combined expertise than rely on my own ignorance.   I would like to know your advice on including a stainless steel pocket wire saw in my kits.</span>

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have had no luck with wire saws.  Here is a thread on saws that you might find enlightening.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/84465/

I use a folding saw if I take one at all.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

mine ;)

[​IMG]

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A Victorinox Classic (21 grains, $5 for a TSA-seized one or $13 for a new one) covers:

-tweezers(for splinters)

-scissors

-(a small blade which can be used as an) awl

-small flathead screwdriver.

and a Coghlan’s Sierra Saw ($9 and 42 grams) is more capable than the wood saw on the Victorinox Champ.

A touch over 2 ounces, total.

That leaves the pliers, but I’ve never understood why trout fishermen need pliers if I can catch 30 sockeye salmon and 6 halibut a year without any pliers, landing them with my bare hands.  Does that little 20-inch, 4-pound rainbow have such big teeth?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I concur that wire saws look like a better idea than they are.

I much prefer a pull saw of a size proportioned to the task.  A tiny little one for cutting branches if cooking in a small bush-buddy-type stove.  A small one for most trail clearing.  A larger one for winter camping.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools