Topic

2013 Plans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

A new part of my plans: purchase no new gear unless old gear breaks down to the point of failure. #gulp

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I plan on climbing Mt. St. Helens in June/July weather permitting. I am shooting for a July climb of Mt. Adams followed by an August through hike of the Wonderland Trail. I would like to take a couple low level courses like crevasse rescue if I can fit it in as I hope to ascend Rainier in the next couple of years.

Currently making plans to bike the John Wayne Trail with a friend this summer. Picked up a 29er this year and can't wait to take it on a smallish tour.

I'm going pick up a couple Tenkara rods. I will finally commit to a drift boat safety class ala Reds Fly Shop so I can lease their boats on the Yakima. Maybe I will try my hand at spey casting as well but that's looking more like a 2014 event.

Start the SAR academy next month. I've always used MGRS and terrain association so I'm looking forward to my transition to UTM and a return to volunteer work following a 10 year hiatus.

2013 will be expensive. My big three are going to be replaced by a ULA Ohm 2.0 or Circuit, Zpacks 20* sleeping bag, and shelter TBD (but leaning towards the Duo Mid or Speed Mid.) Hope to have these by May and will spend the rest of the summer saving for my Alpaca packraft or a pair of Hoks and a MYOG pulk sled.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"I plan on doing the JMT using old technology, like canvas and wool. No synthetics. That has been a goal of mine for a while. This would be sometime in July. Getting the gear together for that should be really fun."

@ Justin

Killer plan.

Nick Gatel would be able to shed some light on the area, PM him or check one of his recent trip reports for some inspiration. I don't think he went completely non synthetic, but he did go "old school".

http://popupbackpacker.com/backpacking/trip-reports/a-nostalgic-hike-with-chuckawalla-bill/

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Get a rope.

1. Finish hiking Bohusleden (April).
    2. Finish writing companion guide to Bohusleden (May).
    3. Hike one third of Kungsleden (August).
    4. Start writing companion guide to Kungsleden (September).
    5. Spend a total of at least 24 nights in the wild. My goal last year was 20 nights, and I was able to do 21 :).
    6. Go barefoot trail running at least once a week once my gym membership expires (March).
    7. See aurora borealis for the first time.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

1. My daughter will be two in June. She is hiking with us now, on my back and on her feet. Both my wife and I are looking forward to her first overnight backpacking trips this summer, short jaunts for sure and some more car camping.

2. Finishing the JMT and doing a section of the Sierra High Route.

3. A trip to the Smokies in the Fall.

4. Lots of plein air painting on all my trips.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools